Advice on Shipping Mantises

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AikoAiko

Reaction score
What is the best way to package nymphs or adult mantises to guarantee live delivery?

How do you ship ooths so they don't dry out or get moldy?

Are heat packs trustworthy in cold weather (i.e. they won't cook the mantises?)?

Who is more trustworthy with live packages, the United States Postal Service or UPS or FedEx?

Are there any special regulations about shipping live insects in the mail?

Any other useful advice appreciated.

I would also like to know about this. I'm going to ship and ooth but I'm not sure how. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is very simple actually. For ooths I just put it in a small container wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel. Add a couple air holes and package it in a box with some padding. For live mantids I put them in a container and make sure the container is padded within the box so it can't move around. If the weather is moderate I just ship it 2-3 day priority mail USPS. If cold or really hot I just ship it overnight. During cold weather I add a 40 hr heat pack taped to the bottom of the box. Very easy actually. Check each carriers website to see if they have restrictions as some do.

It is very simple actually. For ooths I just put it in a small container wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel. Add a couple air holes and package it in a box with some padding. For live mantids I put them in a container and make sure the container is padded within the box so it can't move around. If the weather is moderate I just ship it 2-3 day priority mail USPS. If cold or really hot I just ship it overnight. During cold weather I add a 40 hr heat pack taped to the bottom of the box. Very easy actually. Check each carriers website to see if they have restrictions as some do.
Would a cardboard be sufficient for shipping or do I need something harder?

this is what i would do.

get the smallest box you can.

get a cup or something that it will fit in. tape up or pin the ooth up.

if you are shipping mantids, use a cup and make sure to use newspaper or air bags.

Make sure that when u put the cup in with holes for ventilation and air, it does not move around the box like rick had said.

When u pack it up, make sure nothing is able to move and pack the S*** out of it so nothing moves at all for pretty much the confidence

of making sure nothing gets harmed by a lot of movement. make sure that the padding inside the box but outside the cup, is kinda thick

so if anything were to hit that box, it would be okay.

I am a shipping clerk for my company and i've received some live mantids like this from some breeders.

Oh yeah and yes wet paper towel like rick had said or excelsior or spagnum moss too keep humidity or whatever.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah sorry for the double post but,

Also if you are shipping to USA.

I think FedEx has great shipping, (that's what my company uses)

we ship priority overnight and it gets to the destination next day in the morning.

(I want to breed some mantids too, so maybe i can be able to send really quick to you guys if i am successful)

=)

But USPS, it takes 2-3 days priority (i've gotten ghost mantids ffrom this before, came fine)

UPS, (ground sucks imo, takes a week or something like that if they are really far)

Also, for shipping internationally, i think u mite need a permit but im not sure. i read soemwhere in thread about USDA downloadable pdf file.

I think it was under rules regs of shipping thread.

As rick and rob has said,

SHIP AT YOUR OWN RISK

How does the mantid breathe in the box? I have a Tropidomantid nymphs and I am going to ship them. Do I need to fill the box with food too? With all the newspaper as padding, how does it breathe ?

they have air in their package.

u wil just put it in a big cup,

make sure it has room.

that cup will contain air and that cup will contain vent holes small enough

to let air in and out fine. air will go through in and out of that box have no fear!

oh yeah to answer ur question about food and stuff

i think if you feed it till it gets full it's fine. with wet paper towel.

depends on how long its going to be in package i guess =P

ai.. 10 - 14 days for nymphs is very long. Not sure if you should do that!

Also, try putting nymphs in a cup in which they can hang from all sides. You can make a cup with mesh on all sides but there are also polystyrene cups you can buy. They throw the package on all sides at the postoffice, so it's good if the nymph can hold on to all sides. Also, pin everything that can move inside the cup, like decoration if you have or a little sponge/wet paper (just don't pin the nymph :lol: :unsure: ). That way it can't hurt the nymph if beeing moved/shaken heavily.

i agree this is too long, especially as you are shipping (i assume) tropidomantis hatchlings. i would bet alot of money on them all arriving dead.

also if u do decide to go ahead with it,

i recomend styrofoam cups because the nymphs can climb that so easily.

i acutally do not recoomend sending them 10-14 days without anything at all.

i'd be scared. I would trust 2-3 days though.

also if u do decide to go ahead with it,i recomend styrofoam cups because the nymphs can climb that so easily.

i acutally do not recoomend sending them 10-14 days without anything at all.

i'd be scared. I would trust 2-3 days though.
That's what i meant! I thought the english word was polystyrene :lol:

Latest posts