Advice please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky_69

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have heard that the griffin mantis (Polyspilota griffinii) is fairly easy to breed, and having a mature adult female who is calling day and night, and i would like to have a go at breeding her. as far as i know, i can also get my hands on a male within a couple of weeks or so.

id just like some advice on breeding these, ie. do they need special requirements like a live plant to lay on, heat to incubate the ooth, how long it takes to hatch, how many hatch out etc.

reason im asking is because ive tried to breed the p.wahlli, and orchid mantis as my first 2 attempts, and both seem to have gone wrong, so i just want to try something easier for now, then go back to those species when i am more experienced.

any help is greatly appreciated

Danni x

I never had them, so I dont know, but wanted u to know someone was listening
unsure.gif

I would say keep them like most others, see where they are from originally and check the humididty there and normal temps. then just duplicate it.!

From what I can find on the climate there, is really varied, it seems the ones that have info on them is from Ghana and the Volta region, so I would go a good 72F and Mist them every day and they should do ok.

I saw your excellent pix on another forum, SKY. This mantis is much more common in Britain than the US (I don't even know if anyone has it, here). I haven't seen Scott, Macrojunkie, on here for a long time, but he may be on the Brit forum, and I think that he might have bred them.

If not, Hibiscusmile's advice is good, as always. :D

The only thing that I would add is that if they don't mate, raise the humidity to 80+% to simulate the monsoon weather in the fall/autumn (our spring!) on the west coast of Africa.

Thanks.. she sat nice and still for those pictures, normally she is a nightmare!!

And thank you for that about the humidity!! I'll give it a go if they don't mate first time round!! The male should arrive tomorrow, so breeding attemps comence on Wednesday!! Wish me luck lol :D

Latest posts