Age gap

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PyroCinnamon

Reaction score
I recently received 4 giant asian mantises. 2 are L4 or L5 females. And the other 2 are L2 gender unknowns. Is it possible for these 2 pairs of mantises to catch up to each other in terms of growth? The 2 smaller ones are fed every day with as much as they can eat and they are kept at around 85-90 F. While the 2 bigger ones are fed every couple days and are kept at 70 F.

I recently received 4 giant asian mantises. 2 are L4 or L5 females. And the other 2 are L2 gender unknowns. Is it possible for these 2 pairs of mantises to catch up to each other in terms of growth? The 2 smaller ones are fed every day with as much as they can eat and they are kept at around 85-90 F. While the 2 bigger ones are fed every couple days and are kept at 70 F.
It is possible.I do this with the idolos to keep males from molting, and females molting faster (as the females have one extra molt.)I feed my males maybe once a week... or less if I can. Just keep an extra eye on the ones you feed less to ensure theyre are not starving. You'll know a slim mantis from "about to die of starvation" one.

But that's my method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, it is possible - at worst, you might have them mature a few weeks apart.

Other folks' experiences may vary, but I would advise against a temperature as low as 70 F. Hierodula are native to my region and (highland areas excluded) the lows here are about 76 F. I found that keeping Hierodula in air-conditioned rooms cooler than that slowed their metabolism alarmingly. IMO, reducing food intake by volume alone (without decreasing temperature or the frequency of feeding) would be enough to do the trick.

Latest posts