All Heart, No Stamina

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslongo

Reaction score
Fellow mantomaniacs,

I had a problem that soon resolved itself but i wish to gain some insight as well as bore you with the details.

I had an adult male P. albifimbrata that was sexually mature & ready to be mated with one of the females I have. I'd place him behind her, give her something small to munch on (to distract her for a while) & wait for him to hop on. Unfortunately, he was no good at judging distance & four times he flew over her, rotated 180 degrees in the air & land right in front of her, presenting his head. Each time I'd pick him up & give him another shot at the prize but it looked as though he wished to be eaten. After the third time, i left them momentarily & i came back to find him in a headlock & his raptorial arm slowly being devoured. I separated them but apparently he needed that arm to survive:(

This is one of his better days. You know, being alive & all:)

n534534537_1216238_9437.jpg

Any pointers as to why he failed at mating?

James.

Young males often do stupid stuff like that. I have seen similar actions. If they do that kind of stuff I usually wait another week and try again. I don't leave them alone until the male is in the right position.

The main problem is that you were doing it the wrong way ;)

Settle the male and then place the female infront of him. Mantids respond to movement, if she's not moving he may not know she is there.

The main problem is that you were doing it the wrong way ;) Settle the male and then place the female infront of him. Mantids respond to movement, if she's not moving he may not know she is there.
I'm quickly learning this to be true. Even after reading the 'sticky' thread I could still use some of the pointers.

For me, I did notice that if I disturbed the male at all getting him set up, that I should just try again later and not force anything. While I did make sure my limbata Fred mounted Cherisse before I left them alone, he was a little agitated and did not even try to couple or even 'drum' until several hours later. The other two males attempted to couple immediately. I didn't want to separate them for fear he would injure Cherisse.

The main problem is that you were doing it the wrong way ;) Settle the male and then place the female infront of him. Mantids respond to movement, if she's not moving he may not know she is there.
Well thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot next time. But it's not as if the female wasn't moving about. The male knew she was there, also due to the fact that he could pick up her scent. Perhaps she was emitting pheromones that told him to suicide like the trees in that horrible The Happening movie. Funny I didn't notice any bees flying about either;)

So this is the order:

1) Male

2) Female

3) R18+

Cheers,

James.

Yep. This is what I do. Sometimes I can get away with just putting him on her back.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive done that. i hold him on my hand right behind her, make sure hes noticed her (at this point his antenna tend to point at her and he stops stock still), then i push him off my hand ont her back. Normally he'll try to grab on (prob for fear of being gobbled up!) straight away.

Well thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot next time. But it's not as if the female wasn't moving about. The male knew she was there, also due to the fact that he could pick up her scent. Perhaps she was emitting pheromones that told him to suicide like the trees in that horrible The Happening movie. Funny I didn't notice any bees flying about either;)So this is the order:

1) Male

2) Female

3) R18+

Cheers,

James.
You've got it made, James! A "girlfriend who gave you the mantid bug" and Superfreak to help you out! :rolleyes:

From her posts, the latter appears to be a successful mantis breeder, so listen to what she has to say! (Get used to it, mate!)

Latest posts