another question you would think I would know the answer to...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keri

Reaction score
So.... adult chinese mantis have wings - do they fly? One of my nymphs has molted out with full length wings and I don't want to take it out now if it's going to fly to the ceiling. Also, is it now adult, or will there be other molts? Thanks!!

It won't molt anymore.

And if it's a male - it will fly. My girlfriend is scarred from me taking one of my males out around her. I can no longer even open an enclosure around her.

My female was flying yesterday, couldn't find her for awhile... they say it is more like gliding than flying, I seen her do it, but couldn't tell u the difference.

So.... adult chinese mantis have wings - do they fly? One of my nymphs has molted out with full length wings and I don't want to take it out now if it's going to fly to the ceiling. Also, is it now adult, or will there be other molts? Thanks!!
You just need to be careful about the males. The females might be able to fly too, but once they are fat, there won't be a problem.

For almost all insects, whether they're the size of a speck or not, they are adults when they have wings. There will no longer be any molts. The only exception I can think of are mayflies.

My carolina mantis became an adult on July 1st and didn't take an interest in flying until the other day. I thought that there was something wrong with him, until the other day, when he flew across the room. Now I am afraid to let him have as much free time. Yesterday, I made sure that the door was closed and turned off the fan, before letting him out on some fake flowers. He stayed in the same spot for 2 hours and didn't fly at all. :lol: I am afraid that he might fly into something and get hurt. Fortunately, so far he lands much more gracefully than a pet bird.

Latest posts