Another SoCal first timer...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g3cko

Reaction score
Thanks admins for letting me join the forums :)  

I had considered on and off about getting a mantid for a while now, but, when one literally showed up on my door I decided to run to the pet store and pick up an enclosure and some crickets too*.  I believe I have a female Stagmomantis limbata.  She readily grabbed the first cricket and ate it entirely.

I am still playing catch up regarding best care, and learning more about the species.  Tonight I'll try to take some images with my DSLR instead of my phone.  

It's my understanding that these might not normally last through the winter?  If that is the case, by keeping her is it likely I'm keeping her from potentially mating before dying?  My original plan was to keep her for a bit to take some photos and then re-release her.   

* crickets seem to be acceptable food, but please let me know if I'm mistaken. 

nwM2G5FlViEuO0EO25-dnSkxXZjjtgobC2nTGYwWkIVc43xNpWE_yj0l6Yt-RwmFmoYst5uYyk-qNAlfa2IQCOktpS7QBXeU142shAvX9oNJvLX-VwjA2iDm6AkLgkhDvVKj_Kku8w8FiGspD3Gy2l-S4fAvELOdcLNj-bsAff6-ptVj6iUjIYt04bTqUwNXUbdZtZjv0v__S9Qt_n4c-04nAnQqwhqndBZJgLkCMOvi8xAXd4Hn2WQDjUijMLSIoU8kd0l4aKf32w16jsgigUd1nCxdD--Zb8atgmynNevM-xHuEbpIfVwg69VW6oBG-W37Hm0MnPS_XGRBMZuzPeXn2BghPtCEaPv1Zzcmy5QY3HH8A5lCjhMkt73idKnJ2fRLkcWuEZbdz6ccm1YQ0TxI4ZyYDMXesgRk8ZuidwB71l0LZtODXSeJDqTY2KiPTytXhdYE1rzZXU3KeM9yoeOwh27KoAESDCpMmCzGgy_XhtA9sBvkMzT04fxv45C8K-_oHiaoAQ8K0MVBiSFo-LNezWRJGcewv2YoYR4opCRMQ3FYyir838uVPdR_aQXSE1IlR9eZg3cw1gElM7FQinn6_XAOODeeUcbzPYB71m33HWY39gk_dYHmsz3IehR7VArtJYfgyQsaNlxz5uc6mGRbRYWSTHF-9T0TGOOcPRhOZAaZwI2qwQ=w1083-h812-no

They do usually die in the winter so you probably prolonged her life by a few week. Crickets are just fine although some others will say otherwise. How large is she? She does have wings right? Also welcome to the forums! I’m also a So-Caler!

Thanks @MrGhostMantis! Will look again but roughly around 3" long?  To be honest, I don't know how visible the wings typically are?  Although a bit blurry, this is a better view from above 

CmZRFhQRfQiNMvhbAlSbmk0rAbIpWjfCzL1Xc0kTzw_8BQ6UStI16JKCwH7d6mf_PKdufVHjcRCK32sXYNjWMEIYRRPdXC1vH4NS15VYVMqZaUhRKLyzkMkJT4Zw9ORqb7YEGdofx-SE0zz7b4n1jJUwz-RyC6QHgotUnUNLQq2m_fa68O7jAlopLpS2poX-jiHTvKYiTlStHyFbD4TnBGtApFAJXCRIwV2Vp5N-lQEO_yfdGb6d3wp6-fd6HcddcuXMxyPrMpkZ4Y8Y0_dKfRsYjq5FmCsHWKFVQPeCqKqA7vLgfI7MqFm8m_77xne4J6JahF0HeL5AY5gRPSp7aWpwB0SrfPKN_h71v1Mz00WGnr47Z3LMYpElzkMJVhxfLAOXIiQS7mdYWDKLUfWDTLPX7f6SGw29vnuzNw9mQX5iw8Fa0okmgUoBDB1kNREvQJ7c9SO0yF3kCYZMXl2ZJKf9w2PKStmhykD2dCQInRaLqpGQCsc3UTFLfKWAuqvPqs_xopGK0nwm2s3PyBQya5TTrXb3PFsYl2w3AUcZ_KixrRgEv8i05p-11WFQHwwKuqkPOV09ywakwwYk7e8HrvYSw63X_fDNrmMMPSVMhuhvLqSuEX9k9xwU7Uf-Q5suzAzIN0PYp8vJyEVgeRO7zHVcWJij0O69jJP4eyz7H7ULleAY4a_TTQ=w609-h812-no

Much to learn still haha! 

Welcome to the forum! You are most likely not keeping her from mating, just prolonging her lifespan. Have fun with your first mantis! If you spend enough time on this site, one mantis will turn into more and more, and etc. Lol

- MantisGirl13 

Welcome :)

Too bad I can't see your pic of your mantis. but she will have a warm home to spend the rest of her life.

Thanks everyone!  I think generally I like the hands off/not interfering with nature approach but in this case I feel it might be a little different.     

I did take out my real camera for a few photos last night - will share those shortly in an external album (later tonight hopefully!).  

Hi again - here's a few images from my photo shoot last night before feeding her :) Side note, she's 2 for 2 on crickets even though this last one she ate hanging upside down from the wire top 

https://imgur.com/a/dTQ0P86

Hi again - here's a few images from my photo shoot last night before feeding her :) Side note, she's 2 for 2 on crickets even though this last one she ate hanging upside down from the wire top 

https://imgur.com/a/dTQ0P86
Tip, I think you can embed the photo by copying the URL but substituting at the end:

?dl=0  with ?raw=1

Click INSERT OTHER MEDIA / INSERT IMAGE FROM URL and paste the string there.

Latest posts