Are All These Mantids Good for Begginers?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ConnorĀ You are a lucky guy! Im jealous šŸ˜Š Glad you've had success with a low cost Orchid setup. Not everyone can make that work for a tropical species.Ā 

Ā Temperatures and humidity can vary widely, depending on where you live. In my area, ambient indoor RH is 30% (or lower with heat on). Even daily misting isn't enough to maintain high humidity inside my enclosures.Ā I couldnt imagine keeping my orchids humid enough without a humidifier and controller!

Ā Temps here can fall well below Orchid range if left at 'room' temp. Even the warmest spot in my house wouldn't stay the right temp in the winter without added heat sources.Ā 

There is more than one way to get things done, true, but the best (and safest) way to be sureĀ you provide the specific conditions a tropical mantis needsĀ is to use climate control.Ā 

@Major

Check here for some H. Majuscula:Ā 

http://mantidsgalore.com/product/herodula-majuscula-giant-rainforest-mantis/

Sheā€™s got a handful of presubs for a decent price. And Iā€™ve worked with Patty before, and she is pretty consistently awesome!
THIS!! My H. Majuscula was probably from the same ooth as her current stock. He is sub adult. He is the most interesting and dynamic of all of our mantids. He readily takes food, and is happy to be handled. Patty has been great to work with. We also get our feeders from her and her pricing seems very competitive. She was one of the only ones with banana roaches when we were looking. We have ordered dubias, banana roaches, fruit flies, house fly pupae, and blue bottle spikes from her. Its always been well packed and healthy.

How can you say no to this face...

owpRtUhm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghosts and hierodula masjasculas are a good beginner species. Mine are in deli cups, the ghosts are in a bit smaller cups. With paper towel on bottom with a fake plant to climb one. Keep in mind you should rehouse the Hierodulas in future because they are getting big and need space to have a good molt.

But I advise you to sepparate the ghosts, they are communual, but they can be cannabalistic too. With me, my ghosts have their own cups.

Lol I have always kept my orchids in a 32oz, paper towel on bottom, some sticks, and kept them at room temp while spraying the enclosure every other day.
I thought they needed a lot of heat and stuff. That is why I am not trying to keep a orchid (but I like them)

As the most indecisive person on this forum, I decidedĀ on something else. Orchid, Tarachodula pantherina, and Thistle. Also, Ghost.

As the most indecisive person on this forum, I decidedĀ on something else. Orchid, Tarachodula pantherinaļ»æ, and Thistleļ»æ. Also, Ghost.
Thats a cool variety of species. I only have experience with ghosts out of that list. Remember to include heating supplies to your shopping list if you are going to get thistle mantises. Most care sheets I have seen require mid 80s. The other ones you are getting would benefit from being kept above room temp also.

As the most indecisive person on this forum, I decidedĀ on something else. Orchid, Tarachodula pantherina, and Thistle. Also, Ghost.
Thistles are tricky because of their need for high heat. I made the mistake of having some as my first exotics and I regret it now because they all died.

Patty is THE BEST, btw. She and DeShawnĀ got me into exotic mantids and I have made countless purchases from them, and Patty is one of my friends.Ā 

- MantisGirl13

I thought they needed a lot of heat and stuff. That is why I am not trying to keep a orchid (but I like them)
Temp range for Orchids is around 21c/70f to 32c/90f. I keep my females around 28 or 29 c (85ish f)Ā and my males around 23c (72 or 73 f). I couldn't provide this temp personally without heat mats on controllers, or something comparable.Ā 

Temp range for Orchids is around 21c/70f to 32c/90f. I keep my females around 28 or 29 c (85ish f)Ā and my males around 23c (72 or 73 f). I couldn't provide this temp personally without heat mats on controllers, or something comparable.Ā 
I am keeping all of my L2s and my L3 around 75-80 f and they are doing well. When I can tell genders I will heat the females a bit more and cool the males a bit more. They are definitely easier than I thought!Ā 

- MantisGirl13

I am keeping all of my L2s and my L3 around 75-80 f and they are doing well. When I can tell genders I will heat the females a bit more and cool the males a bit more. They are definitely easier than I thought!Ā 

- MantisGirl13
Yes, outside of the environmental conditions required, they are pretty easy. I've found that keeping them cooler makes them unhappy and lethargic.Ā My malesĀ have done wellĀ in the low 70s, like 72 or 73.Ā 

Ok, Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I was not planning to go lower than 70 anyway.

- MantisGirl13

I can keep an orchid at 21C? My room temp is around that,( in the night it will be 17C.)

I donā€™t think Iā€™d recommend thistles. They are definitely more difficult then most. You need high temps and sometimes they can just be picky. Last batch I got they all went to presub and just stopped eating. Lost them all and still donā€™t know why. My new batch are at the presub range and eating a ton so fingerss crossed I can get them to adult

I donā€™t think Iā€™d recommend thistles. They are definitely more difficult then most. You need high temps and sometimes they can just be picky. Last batch I got they all went to presub and just stopped eating. Lost them all and still donā€™t know why. My new batch are at the presub range and eating a ton so fingerss crossed I can get them to adult
I hope you get them all to adult! I got one to adult, but she mismolted over final molt and only lived a few days.

- MantisGirl13

I ordered the the three mantids! Can't wait till the ghosts are ready so I can getĀ Ā those too!

Latest posts