Argh, any advice?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis_Whisper

Reaction score
Okay, I've had these ghosts for forever, and I really want some baby ghosts from them. However none of them what so ever want to comply.

My female has been an adult for almost a month, her mates about anywhere from two weeks- four weeks.

However this is my third time trying to pair up my female, and I've tried with all three males! I've done everything I've read about, feed the female and male till they refused food, put them together a bit before dusk, kept them warm, but nothing! The female attacks the male, bats him away, goes into threat poses when she sees him, and the male just runs away (even the ones she doens't threaten!). I even kept them in the same cage for a good four hours, but the males refuse to be near her, and she refuses to let them near....

Does anyone have any advice or have been in this sitiution before? I really want to get her mated before she lays and I'm just so frustrated. :angry:

It sounds like you are putting the male into the females enclosure - it won't woork this way. The male need to be settled and then introduce the female infront of him.

Another thing - leave them another two weeks before you try again.

rob.

It sounds like you are putting the male into the females enclosure - it won't woork this way. The male need to be settled and then introduce the female infront of him.Another thing - leave them another two weeks before you try again.

rob.
Nope, all in the males' enclourse, and I guess I'll try again in two weeks, thanks.

Nope, all in the males' enclourse, and I guess I'll try again in two weeks, thanks.
It still sounds odd. If you are doing it correctly the female won't know about the male until he's on her back ;) Make sure that when you introduce the female, she is facing away from the male and directly infront of him.

i had my male and female living together from 3rd instar to adult..after the female was adult for 19 days and the male adult for 3 weeks he jumped on her,they mated fine,not sure why you female is attacking your male as mine never do that..Are your feeding them enough?i make sure theres food in the cage 24/7

It still sounds odd. If you are doing it correctly the female won't know about the male until he's on her back ;) Make sure that when you introduce the female, she is facing away from the male and directly infront of him.
I did that, but the males just ran away. I mean one did look as her for a good minute, but then he ran away. :(

i had my male and female living together from 3rd instar to adult..after the female was adult for 19 days and the male adult for 3 weeks he jumped on her,they mated fine,not sure why you female is attacking your male as mine never do that..Are your feeding them enough?i make sure theres food in the cage 24/7
I had mine living together since L2, all five of them. I moved them when they hit adulthood.

I'm pretty sure they've been eating enough, my female is as fat as can be, and there's quite a few flies in each cage.

Never posted this before, but I have a "manual" method that I used the last two times I mated my P. ocellata. Simply put, the female is peacefully eating, and the male is minding his own bussiness, when I pick the male up and gently make him walk onto the female when lightly prodding his but. The male slowly but surely walks on, and the female freezes, and looks back while shaking.(That wierd "wind shaking leaf dance") The male by then is freaked out, and stop moving. After a while, the female resumes eating, and the male just sits there. For me, it was around 5 minutes when the male started inching his bits towards hers, and then mating commenced. B)

I have no idea if it would work with other species, but it sure worked with PO, when the male was one of the flying nervous ones. When the female MOVED, he used to just take off. <_< So, I used my made-up manual method. :D And it worked! Currently raising my 2nd gen. nymphs. I would try it if all was lost.

Never posted this before, but I have a "manual" method that I used the last two times I mated my P. ocellata. Simply put, the female is peacefully eating, and the male is minding his own bussiness, when I pick the male up and gently make him walk onto the female when lightly prodding his but. The male slowly but surely walks on, and the female freezes, and looks back while shaking.(That wierd "wind shaking leaf dance") The male by then is freaked out, and stop moving. After a while, the female resumes eating, and the male just sits there. For me, it was around 5 minutes when the male started inching his bits towards hers, and then mating commenced. B) I have no idea if it would work with other species, but it sure worked with PO, when the male was one of the flying nervous ones. When the female MOVED, he used to just take off. <_< So, I used my made-up manual method. :D And it worked! Currently raising my 2nd gen. nymphs. I would try it if all was lost.
Sounds pretty useful... but I'd have to wait to use that method, my female refuses any food I give her. >.<;

Thanks for the advice!

Hope you get things sorted out. ;) I've never had ghosts, so I can't help that much. If you think your having a nightmare trying to mate them, Tarachodes, sp. are a REAL pain in the **** to mate lol. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghosts can be a real pain in the neck sometimes. I've had 3 generations of these and always the same story: the male just won't do it in a hurry. I succeded by leaving them alone in a big container at dusk. The male can be interested but can sit some distance away from the female for days. Then he jumps. You may need to try all of your males, because some are more courageous than others. And feed them good, they are more willing to cooperate and.. theY don't eat the female that way (I had a situation like that once!)

And feed them good, they are more willing to cooperate and.. theY don't eat the female that way (I had a situation like that once!)
:blink: :blink: :eek: :eek:

every adult male paradoxa i've come across has always been a complete wuss, the idea of one eating a female is just... :mellow: :blink: :lol: i would love to have seen that!

I also thought they are all wimps and I couldn't believe my own eyes when I saw a male munching the thorax of his bride ;/

Hope you get things sorted out. ;) I've never had ghosts, so I can't help that much. If you think your having a nightmare trying to mate them, Tarachodes, sp. are a REAL pain in the **** to mate lol. :rolleyes:
Oh wow... I'll be sure to stay away from them then.... though they are pretty cool.

Thanks though. I'll try agian later this week, hopefully it'll work.

Ghosts can be a real pain in the neck sometimes. I've had 3 generations of these and always the same story: the male just won't do it in a hurry. I succeded by leaving them alone in a big container at dusk. The male can be interested but can sit some distance away from the female for days. Then he jumps. You may need to try all of your males, because some are more courageous than others. And feed them good, they are more willing to cooperate and.. theY don't eat the female that way (I had a situation like that once!)
Alright. Would leaving the female in a cage with two of the males work, or is that a bad move?

My males seem like wimps too.... but you can never be sure.

Not real advice, but my story:

Had 2 couples (2 females, 2 males) in the same enclosure since subadult I think. Both males were on top of the females almost all the time once they were adult lol. Also have some babys from them, but I think 1 female wasn't fertile.

Both males are dead though. One eaten after a female laid her 4th ooth so she was thin/hungry. Then at night, I only saw wings. Other male was almost eaten but I saved him, but he got a bit weak after that and after a while I had to freeze him.

They lived together for like 2 or 3 months peacefully I think :) Females are still alive.

Im wondering if they are being kept to close together and the males have become desensatized to the females pheromones [SIZE=14pt]?[/SIZE]

Im wondering if they are being kept to close together and the males have become desensatized to the females pheromones [SIZE=14pt]?[/SIZE]
It could be, I know my group of 2,1 has been living together for the last 3 weeks and the males still attempt to mate every 3-5 days. I don't know if or how many connections have been made. But their still going strong.

i dont get it?mine where living toghther all the time from nympth to adult and mated after 19 days of being adult? what does desensatized to the females pheromones mean?

I followed MJs method and put the pair to live together after an unsuccessful mating and they are fine atm. He's been on her twice over the last week or 2 and she laid her first ooth this week :p

I also keep enough flies in there to keep them occupied, there's always at leas 2 running wild in their enclosure.

Latest posts