Arm Injury

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honey water is definitely a staple for sick mantids or even as a precaution measure. You could do it a little stronger if you would like. I would say I do it relatively strong 1 tsp to 2 tsp water or maybe a little more water... 

And also she could be near end of life too. Both my "caught outside" mantids have died this week. It must be an instinctive clock that tells them when its over...?!
Thing is, there are 6 more caught within days apart. They all seem fine.  Hungry for the crickets are I put them in.  This one here, she was the first to lay an ooth.  She was doing perfectly fine as the others.  Then Sat or Sun morning there she was laying on the dirt. In the corner up higher, was her 2nd ooth. But it was small as if she fell in the middle of making it.  Or maybe it just took the life out of her and she dropped.  First thing noted was her left are was limp. She held on to my hand very tightly with her other 'claw'. Later on, and def yesterday, neither of her 'praying arms' were in working order, but her right arm is better than the left and still moves, just not as strong.  Yes, perhaps like Charlotte in Charlottes web, they just lay their last ooth and say goodbye to the world. I imagine in the wild, they might do just that, lay their last ooth and then spitter and sputter till the cold temperatures end their life. Perhaps they lay lifeless like this on the ground.  We have so many praying mantis here but I've never seen a dead one in the fall. I've often wondered where they go. I usually rake out from under the barberry bush, this is one of their favorite places to live the entire summer, but I never see a dead one in the debris. 

OK, so I can make the honey water a big stronger.  Will do.  I have Manuka Honey in two levels, 12 and 20+ and also Raw Unfiltered Organic. Which would you use? 

Also wondering about nighttime. How imperative is it that they stay in the dark after sunset? We do have the lights on and I wonder if it's not good. 

Thank you. 

I would go with the organic. It is much less likely to have chemicals or artificial things. 

I don't think that lights would be a problem.

- MantisGirl13

and also Raw Unfiltered Organic. Which would you use? 
Either or are fine. I personally use our honey from my Dads bees. So it is Raw and probably organic too.

We do have the lights on and I wonder if it's not good. 
I have been turning off my lights around the normal summer sunset time... 9pm ish... I dont know that it matters much...?

I had a ghost mantis a while back that overheated in the spring sunshine and lost use of her four back legs. I fed her honey water and within a month she had fully recovered. She now has laid me five ooths and is still going strong!

- MantisGirl13
That is amazing! Congratulations!  

I had a ghost mantis a while back that overheated in the spring sunshine and lost use of her four back legs. I fed her honey water and within a month she had fully recovered. She now has laid me five ooths and is still going strong!

- MantisGirl13
good to hear. :)

I would go with the organic. It is much less likely to have chemicals or artificial things. 

I don't think that lights would be a problem.

- MantisGirl13
OK, the organic it is. That is what I used earlier.  I just got through using a Qtip, and it was much easier and I could tell she was getting some.  She is not interested in halved crickets though. Pushed herself away from it. How long can they go without food? 

Thank you all for the great advice.  

These are handy when giving honey water: hold it onder her mouth, so she can drink from it.

gf1313_1_spencer_wattenstokje-600x600.jpg
Just tried the Qtips.  Works great. I could see she was taking some in.  Thank you!

I go lower on the honey just to be safe that I don't get my mantis sticky, as i made that mistake before, lol! I could probably up the honey ratio on mine 😊

Qtips should be fine. I saturate mine until they are really wet, then tap them lightly with a finger to get any excess off (just so that I don't drip it on my mantis and make them sticky)
Yes, that is just what I did.  Very good application the Qtip is. I basically went 40/60. Little more water than honey. When I was done I wet the other end with water and kinda wipe around her face, dipped in water again, and let her drink if she wanted it.  She seemed to like it. After a moment she just stopped being interested. Will repeat all this in the morning. 

Either or are fine. I personally use our honey from my Dads bees. So it is Raw and probably organic too.

I have been turning off my lights around the normal summer sunset time... 9pm ish... I dont know that it matters much...?
Nice having your own source of honey 😋 Def must be all the good things in it.  Well, they have been operating under our conditions and so far they're ok.  Maybe they think think it's cool? 😀 I know sometimes they would be on the wall of the porch at night hanging around the light where bugs were.  So maybe it is fine. 

I would just like to take a moment to say thank you to all of you contributing to my post.  Has been very helpful!  

I tried to like your replies but it say I cannot like any more posts, so I just thought I'd let you all know. Really appreciate it so much!

Have a nice evening all. 

When I was done I wet the other end with water and kinda wipe around her face, dipped in water again, and let her drink if she wanted it.  She seemed to like it. After a moment she just stopped being interested. Will repeat all this in the morning. 
Sounds like you did it right! It's really helped some of my mantids. Hope your girl pulls through 

Just tried the Qtips.  Works great. I could see she was taking some in.  Thank you! 

Good she was drinking, it will give her more energy and fluids👍 I hope she will will make it. Keep us updated :)

Hi Folks,

Update, she died a couple of days later. Very slow death, as since then another died, and it was very quick. One day she was clinging to the wall rather than the top. I noticed she was in the same position the next morning, and it was dead. 

I doubt these older, and 'wild' mantises will live much longer.  All of them seem to be not as green as they were at first. There are 5 out of 7 left.  The last two days I've noticed they don't seem as enthusiastic about catching a crickets, and seem to not move around as much.  I'm enjoying the experience though. None of them have plants in there cages. I think I will buy a few and see if it makes a difference. 

Latest posts