Back for Mantis Fun

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisboy

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Well my Religiosa ooths and I have been in deep diapause over the last few winter months. Although I have resurfaced to greet the spring time weather my ooths have not. I stored them over the winter in my (semi-insulated..temps down to the 20-30 degree mark over the winter) garage, did the thread trick and placed them in empty clear plastic jars. They are suspended by thread in the correct zippered positions from the lids. To ensure they absorbed the correct humidity I put a few small holes on the bottom and top side of the jars. I have a dozen ooths, the spring time weather here is goofy. We have a few days up to 68-70 degrees, then days like today where it snowed this morning.

I have seen a few flies around and the mosquitos are starting to hatch down by the river, any ideas on when my ooths might pop? All the trees are just starting to bud up so I was wondering if there is any correlation to other bug hatches, plants reappearing, and timing when my nymphs might make their debut.

Glad to see so many good mantis fans still here....Hi Hibiscus!

Hard to say when they'll have a mind to hatch. Continuosly intent staring at them doesn't speed anything up, btw. :p :lol: If you're anxious, maybe try bringing them in the house where the temps are warmer and more stable... and mist more regularly. Be careful to provide adequate ventilation (not sure how big your poked holes are), and also keep in mind tiny mantids (and ff's if you intend to feed the nymphs in the containers) can escape rather small holes. ;)