beginner tarantula

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Mantis

Reaction score
Hi

I was interested in raising a tarantula for the first time. What would be a good, relatively large, beginner species? I cannot have any that require a heat pad or lamp.

Thank You

Do some internet searching, and read some books, that way you can decide for yourself which species best suits you. A good start would be to look up Grammostola rosea, Grammostola aereostriata, Eupalastrus campestratus, and Brachypelma albopilosum.

Jesse has suggested all that i'd suggest. Good luck with it and let us know when you get one :)

Yeah what Jesse said, although through experiance and talking to people I feel that Brachypelma albopilosum are the best beginner Ts as they are so "dopey" if you know what I mean. I have had 2 so far and both are so calm, you can push them along with your fingers and they just go along with it, also pretty good for handling if you have the need to. Oh and easily one of the cheapest.

i personally prefer B. vagans... I keep it at room temp in my room in a standard cricket tub with some soil at the bottom... done well so far! It's aggressive towards food and *can* be handled - even though it's a little skittish... but I think that's the fun part :D

they're quite cheap too- about £4-5 for one about an inch or two long... pretty speedy growth too :D

look it up, they're a majestic species, black with a nice red rump (hence the name)