Big Big Problem!!!!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tha Dragon

Reaction score
Hi there Guy's and Gal's

I have ordered some products at Mantis Place.com great items,very fast at shipping and contact.

I ordered:Cup-o-Mantis

Cup-o-Flies

House and FF Food

Cold pack

100 House Fly pupae

Everything went fine from ordering and getting them to my address but because i live in the Netherlands Antilles/Curacao i need to have a P.O. Box in the states to order items from there and my P.O. Box peoples had some problems there in the states i took me about 2 weeks to get my items,on Friday i finally received them The Ooth was fine but i took a look at the fly pupae but i already e-mailed (Special Thanks to) Hibiscusmile about the problem and she told me that the flies would already be dead and that was the problem, but now i have allot of Maggot's running in my cup-o-flies and i really need some info on how to fix everything to start with my culture of flies.

I also need to add that i caught some FF but i don't see no progress on laying eggs or anything just see them fly the whole time in the plastic box i bought and i made a medium for them to that i saw on he forum Thanks to MikhailsDinos and i did eveything by the book but i still think that something is wrong or not.

That's why i have build this topic to see if 1 of you could help me with some ifno or every info to start my culture and if i'm doing good with to ooth to mist him 3 times a day with warm water.

P.S. and i'm also busy with a culture of Monarch Caterpillars.

here are some pic's

PLEASE GUY"S LET ME KNOW A.S.A.P:

Maggot Problem:

IMG00457.jpg

My Cup-o-Flies gone wrong LOL:

IMG00458.jpg

My suppose to be FF Culture:

IMG00459.jpg

There they are:

IMG00460.jpg

Here's my Monarch Culture:

IMG00455.jpg

Here is a close up:

IMG00456.jpg

Here is my chinese Ooth:

IMG00463.jpg

PLEASE GUY'S REALLY NEED SOME ADVICE!!!!!

Sorry but i took those with my G-friends BB Cam

Thanks in advance

Tha Dragon

u just need to google on raising the house flies for info on them, u got maggots, so any day now they will pupae, turn into little brown cassings, and from there they will turn into flies, the maggots need dinner though. Mush up some dog food or some canned dog or cat food and put a spoonful in for them to eat until they pupae, I may be wrong about feeding them, don't really know, cause I buy mine. but prob can't hurt.
tongue.gif

u just need to google on raising the house flies for info on them, u got maggots, so any day now they will pupae, turn into little brown cassings, and from there they will turn into flies, the maggots need dinner though. Mush up some dog food or some canned dog or cat food and put a spoonful in for them to eat until they pupae, I may be wrong about feeding them, don't really know, cause I buy mine. but prob can't hurt.
tongue.gif
OK and what about the Ooth? cause suppose i had to get an instruction on the cup but i didn't get it,and i read your tips and tricks bit on the Mantis Place.com that you need to mist it all day i mist it 3times a day with warm water could you please correct me if i'm wrong?

and 1 more thing is this a could enclosure for the baby before i put them in the big netcage?

here are some pic's:

Baby enclosure:

IMG00467.jpg

When they get bigger i'll be placing them in this cage:

Bigge Enclosure

P.S. NEED THE INFO.

Thanks in advance

Tha Dragon

OK and what about the Ooth? cause suppose i had to get an instruction on the cup but i didn't get it,and i read your tips and tricks bit on the Mantis Place.com that you need to mist it all day i mist it 3times a day with warm water could you please correct me if i'm wrong?

and 1 more thing is this a could enclosure for the baby before i put them in the big netcage?

here are some pic's:

Baby enclosure:

When they get bigger i'll be placing them in this cage:

Bigge Enclosure
Misting the ooth once a day should be fine, unless your conditions are very hot and dry.

That plastic birdseed container could be a fine hatching container if you modify it properly to provide adequate ventilation (and remove the birdseed, lol). Cut at least one (or more) nice sized holes in either the lid or the container itself, and attach either very fine screening or fabric/netting. I use organza fabric to keep in the smallest fruit flies and still allow ventilation. Place a layer of paper towel on the bottom of the container to absorb and hold moisture. Glue the ooth to the lid (or to the material you have covered the hole with, if you make a hole in the lid), and wait.

The main thing is to modify the plastic container to have enough ventilation. Also, when you mist... make sure the ooth, container, and paper towel on the bottom, all dry out completely before misting again. If you don't let all dry out before misting again, you may develop mold problems, and it does not have to be that humid all of the time anyway.

Misting the ooth once a day should be fine, unless your conditions are very hot and dry.

That plastic birdseed container could be a fine hatching container if you modify it properly to provide adequate ventilation (and remove the birdseed, lol). Cut at least one (or more) nice sized holes in either the lid or the container itself, and attach either very fine screening or fabric/netting. I use organza fabric to keep in the smallest fruit flies and still allow ventilation. Place a layer of paper towel on the bottom of the container to absorb and hold moisture. Glue the ooth to the lid (or to the material you have covered the hole with, if you make a hole in the lid), and wait.

The main thing is to modify the plastic container to have enough ventilation. Also, when you mist... make sure the ooth, container, and paper towel on the bottom, all dry out completely before misting again. If you don't let all dry out before misting again, you may develop mold problems, and it does not have to be that humid all of the time anyway.
Here are the conditions here in curacao:

Weather in curacao

Every advice is valuable!!!!

Thank in advance

Tha Dragon

Latest posts