Big Green

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhill

Reaction score
Out of the Mantids Ive encountered so far I think the one that causes me the most wonder, intrigue, fascination, excitement and is the most Adrenalin inducing of all has got to be the Giant Rainforest Mantis. Hierodula majuscula. Or often referred to as .. "That Big Green Thing".       

I've been wanting a H. majuscula for a while, but haven't had any luck. Seems they can be in short supply at times. I've seen specimens priced (but sold out) starting at $16 up to $60. I'm on the waiting list for one now. Coloration is really the only difference between membranacea and majuscula as far as I know. I've always been attracted to the large species but have discovered smaller species can be just as fascinating. 

Whats it like in the States / Canada for buying exotic species      I've read there's a lot of regulations for importation of animals??

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats it like in the States / Canada for buying exotic species      I've read there's a lot of regulations for importation of animals??
Really depends on what you're trying to do. US laws allow us to mail things within the borders of the States, but import/export requires paperwork

Technically, it is illegal to own any non-native/naturalized mantis species without a PPQ 526 permit. These laws are not enforced except in major cases involving hundreds of mantids. 

Giant Rainforest is fun and fairly easy. Along with ghosts mantises, h. majuscula was our first. He just passed a couple of days ago. He was way more active and dynamic than our peacock and ghosts. At adult size he was a little intimidating to handle since he had such a strong prey drive. The green and red coloration is great and the size and pry drive makes feeding a breeze. He only flew a couple of times, but he was a capable flyer as well. It was difficult to force him to move where we wanted, since he would defensively strike before making any threat display. We actually never saw him make a threat display.

Here are some photos and videos if anyone is interested.

Chasing down a fly: https://imgur.com/wBoSSj4

JM7nXlLl.jpg

sk3qXTil.jpg

owpRtUhl.jpg

KrAwZWIl.jpg

9pBu4oRl.jpg

Here is a photo of him pinned if interested to show his impressive wings and size: https://imgur.com/kEANVCY

ayaweya-dog2.jpg

I hope I can see her one day with wings. But she  still 1 instar behind with Tybalt 🤔I tell her every evening to molt, but she doesn't listen.

Latest posts