Blue Bottle Culturing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowgoose

Reaction score
Right, I have an idea
wink.png
and was wondering about a couple of questions.

1 ) Do bluebottles need light to culture them, or will they happily culture in dark?

2 ) How much air flow is needed within a culture?

Basically I have an idea of setting up a culture in something like a spare faunarium, but because I live in a little village, I have neighbours, so the smell wouldn't be great.

My idea? place the culture inside a polystyrene box to keep the smell in and the cold out in winter, almost so it acts as a self generating incubator with the heat given off by the maggots keeping too much cold out, however this will restrict air flow and be in complete darkness.

Will it work?

Any ideas?

In culturing flies, airflow is of prime importance. The reason is that is cultured with much ventilation, there really is no offensive smell. The smell one hears about is when the culture be it natural or by human hands, is done with minimal air flow and it allows that anaerobic bacteria to thrive and there you have an offensive smell.

In culturing flies, airflow is of prime importance. The reason is that is cultured with much ventilation, there really is no offensive smell. The smell one hears about is when the culture be it natural or by human hands, is done with minimal air flow and it allows that anaerobic bacteria to thrive and there you have an offensive smell.
Thanks Rich, will have to go back to the drawing board :D

I like Patrick's gumption! You can't succeed or fail unless you try first, it's the best way to learn, hands on. I never give up till I took a few steps first, then I only modify my failure till it swings my way. :)

thanks everyone, I will try it.

I'm planning on cutting a hole in the lid and either using perspex or glass or something to cover it. This should allow the light in, so then it's just a case of whether is will work with restricted air flow :D

I don't think light really matters. If anything, the maggots avoid it. I think heat is more important. I've noticed with the cooling of the weather, my production has dropped significantly. Not less in quantity, but a lot slower growth.

Latest posts