Bolbena hottentotta

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
I've had these guys before, but somehow ended up with all females on my 3rd generation, so I had to get them again. :D L1 nymphs are only 2mm long. :ph34r:

IMG_8435.jpg

L1 Bolbena next to L1 Gongylus

IMG_8446.jpg

L1 on a house fly

IMG_8457.jpg

L1 next to a fruit fly :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant see the pics :(

I was thinking about trying these just for the gimmick of freakishly small mantids :p

I had an ooth of those once but it never hatched.

Out of interest what do you feed them at L1 and how big are they when adults.

They are certainly an odd species.

Cant see the pics :( I was thinking about trying these just for the gimmick of freakishly small mantids :p
They work for me. :huh:

I had an ooth of those once but it never hatched.
When I get ooths, I'll send you one or two free of charge. ;)

When they are this young they eat springtials. ;) I keep the mantids in the springtail culture so that they feed themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me there's nothing more to this species than just it's small size. I look at Phyllocrania, Gongylus and Idolomantis, and then I look at this - it just does not hold a candle to those larger, more spectacular species.

To me there's nothing more to this species than just it's small size. I look at Phyllocrania, Gongylus and Idolomantis, and then I look at this - it just does not hold a candle to those larger, more spectacular species.
True, but I like them a lot for the very reason that they are small. ;)