Bugatorium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great setup. If I am not mistaken, aren't the majority of the round containers plastic? They look exactly like the plastic ones we sell at Mantislace.com. If so, the 4.5 inch insect cup lid fits the container, eliminating the need to cut and screen the side. Although, I bet the mantids don't hang on the lid the way you have it turned to the side, making feeding easier..........Clever are you Hibiscus Queen.

CHEERS!!!

NIck Barta

Mantisplace.com

Yea, clever comes from being old, like the saying "old age and trecheary, beat youth and vitality every time" ha ha ha.

Nick they are not on their sides, it has two bottoms, which is great for molting, (and they do hang from lid, it has screen inside) when they are not on the lid, I can use the slanted bottom giving them enought room and when on the lid I use the standard bottom giving them more room. Yes, they are all plastic!!! :lol: 8) But what I really love about these is the left and right sides are flat, only the front and back are round, WHICH gives you 5 sides to turn the container on giving the most versatile posistion for Mantis Molting!

Beautiful, I love your display! :D This is why you have such healthy mantis ;) Again, Beautiful!

Hibiscusmile you're awesome what a beautiful setup. I'm new to this and really want to devote a room to bugs. At the moment I have all of my chinese mantis ( 14 nymphs and female adult ) in decorative glass containers in the living room. It looks nice and both of us are into bugs so no problem there but my dream is to have a room full of bugs to lose myself in once in a while :D

Do you have butterflies too?

No just outside, I have been planting flowers for them, and a lot of milkweeD!, I have enticed the Tussock Moth with the mildweed, and the Red mildweed beetle, Alas, hardly any Monarchs, though I did see one fly away from some milkweed in the farmers field today :D . Does that count?

Lol, really good job.

maybe i take some ideas from your bugatorium!!!

Regards

Go right ahead, I used the wire shelving becuase it is rubber coated, white (for escapees) and it cleans easily, lets the light from ceiling thru each level, plus it is easy to put up. I used a stud finder (no Nick, not male, I said stud) to put screw every 16" and a lazer level because while I can cut a straight line, I cannot draw one. :wink: I was lucky we had this sitting around outside for a few years, I had to scrub it but it came out really nice. It was a lot of work, but worth every minute I put into it. Later I will take pic of my work area and post it. Thanks for all the feedback!

Here's the work area, it is not very big, but I find you do not

need a big work area, cause you can only work with one or one container of babies at a time. The tray with all the equipment is

where I keep what I need while working with them. When you have hundreds to take care of you need to save any steps you can.

In the tray is an ink pen with labels for recording molts and hatchings.

Or sometime I record when a stubborn one eats. There is honey with a bamboo stick stuck inside it. Every now and then I stop to give one set

of a species a sweet treat. All my tweezers and scissors and some hat pins are there, and in the drawer is a thermometer, measuring

spoons (for making ff food) a funnel and some other things I may need to grab.

There are toothpicks, used for a bad molt stuck on someone, cue tips, my cotton pads, my cricket quincher for me crickets. That's about it for this area,

up above is where I keep the mantis information and the old ooths.

Old ooths sitting there due to I haven't made the board they will be posted on. The information is on each species and what is recordable information

on them, ie hatching, molts, mating, eating, size, and so on!

workarea.jpg

MVC-691F.jpg

Latest posts