C. Modesta Hatchling pics

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a few people request for pics of West African Flower mantis (C. Modesta) L1 nymphs. Took a few but they are blurry (Sorry!!) as these little "road runner" are fast!!

hatchling2.jpg

hatchling1_edited.jpg

wow i've never seen a flower mantis that looked like that man yen where you get all those things lol

I believed they are common in countries in Western Africa like Nigeria thus the name West African Flower mantis (Also has a common name as Nigeria Flower Mantis). I traded the mantis from Germany with bugs caught around Houston area. The hatchling is very small around 4-5 mm (150 - 200 mils) and reluctant to catch large fruit flies, i have to use smaller ff from old culture. I am glad to have a chance learning and keeping this species, will post pics here on every L from my breeding stock, hope it doesn't bore you all to tears.

You can find them in Hobby Lobby or Walmart. Raffia straws increase surface area in a small container for hatchling, i also use them for D. Hydei culture too.

An update on this species, tried to mate the female (3 weeks old)recently, male was skittish although it has been a month since he last matured into adult. I left them together in a foot cube net cage. When i woke up the next morning, this is what i found...bummer!

failmate.jpg

well i have plenty of male to sacrifice, so on the same day i heated up a closet, and put both male and female together again. and they finally mate.

mate1.jpg

mate2.jpg

So waiting for the ooth. This will be my second generation. Promise for more update.

It took her only 2 days to lay an ooth, but took another 5 days to do so.

Yeah, she left a head, couple of wing and half arm so as to warn me not to mess with her!

Latest posts