Can anyone ID him/her?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndragy

Reaction score
Found this fella climbing on the walls of my brothers room and was wondering if anyone can share some info :)

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

A general location would help a ton. Like state if you're in the US, province or country if elsewhere?

M. religiosa.
+1. Look under the fore legs. The black and white spot (sometimes only black) is the best way to identify this species.

I can tell you more. It's a female and i'm about 90% sure it's a subadult. Can't be certain because she looks a bit small for subadult but the wingbuds tell otherwise.

+1. Look under the fore legs. The black and white spot (sometimes only black) is the best way to identify this species.

I can tell you more. It's a female and i'm about 90% sure it's a subadult. Can't be certain because she looks a bit small for subadult but the wingbuds tell otherwise.
++1, I can see the little bullseye spot on the inner arms in the second picture, and it looks like a female to me. I read just 10 minutes ago that religiosa skip molts a lot more often than other species, so that may be why it looks small?

++1, I can see the little bullseye spot on the inner arms in the second picture, and it looks like a female to me. I read just 10 minutes ago that religiosa skip molts a lot more often than other species, so that may be why it looks small?

M. religiosa.
Thanks so much guys :) Any other advice or suggestions on caring for this girl?

Nevermind I found a care sheet, feel free to drop any suggestions though! Thanks again mantis community.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read just 10 minutes ago that religiosa skip molts a lot more often than other species, so that may be why it looks small?
Some M. Religiosa keepers in here will tell you it's true but I can't tell because I never seen it happening. So far all mantids I've kept from birth till adult had 8 solid molts.

Nevermind I found a care sheet, feel free to drop anysuggestions though! Thanks againmantis community
Well, at her current age it's the easiest to care for her. She'll be hungry almost all the time. Water isn't necessary at this stage. They can take all the water they need from prey. Rule of thumb: keep her in an enclosure at least 3 times her length and that's about it for now.

When adult she'll require a lot more food and when she starts getting older (signs of her getting sluggish and losing the tips of her legs) then you should start giving her water.

Okay noted, thank you. Buying a terrarium tomorrow from Wal-Mart. Do you know what Instar she may be? I feed her 2-3 times a day, too much or too little?

I'd say that a daily misting would still be a good idea so she molts to adult successfully.

Subadult is L7 for most mantids, if I counted it right.

I'd feed her as much as she eats, and remove any uneaten food at the end of the day. But I would like a second opinion on that.

Either is fine, from what I understand it's an ambient humidity sort of thing, as well as drinking. In the wild, she'd get rained on, it's no big deal if she does or doesn't get sprayed directly. I feel kind of rude aiming the nozzle right at them myself, even though insects aren't supposed to have feelings.

Either is fine, from what I understand it's an ambient humidity sort of thing, as well as drinking. In the wild, she'd get rained on, it's no big deal if she does or doesn't get sprayed directly. I feel kind of rude aiming the nozzle right at them myself, even though insects aren't supposed to have feelings.
Lol, yeah I have the same feelings...But okay I see now :) , Thank you for you great input and help! Much appreciated

I'd say that a daily misting would still be a good idea so she molts to adult successfully.
You can mist but it's not necessary. Apart from the occasional frilled wings I got 0 mismolts in the last 5 years or so.

In fact, the molts have been so successful to me that I'm starting to think that misting may cause mismolts for some reason.

You can mist but it's not necessary. Apart from the occasional frilled wings I got 0 mismolts in the last 5 years or so.

In fact, the molts have been so successful to me that I'm starting to think that misting may cause mismolts for some reason.
I tend to let her wander on my arms a lot, should I just let her be till she molts?

I don't know the signs of a upcoming jolt so I don't want to accidentally bother her.

Latest posts