can you identify this mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it in Panama, deep in the jungle near the border of Colombia.

Thanks!

zana
Hi Zana,

I can't tell you the species but it looks like a dead-leaf mantis to me. I've asked over at What's This Bug? and posted the picture you provided there. They should have it up soon and hopefully you'll get your answer. Keep checking this website:

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

:)

Carol

P.S. Beautiful find!

I don't think this is a Deroplatys lobata (dead leaf mantis). I have never seen this species before and have no idea what it is. Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable than myself can identify this! I'm really curious. Wouldn't it be cool if it was a previously undiscovered species? Interesting find, though! Its wings sort of look like a cape.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is no way Deroplatys sp, ancanthops is more likely, but its might not even be them

This is a male of a Pseudacanthops species. It isn't possible to tell more without having the specimen before me.

Thank you everyone! It does look like Pseudacanthops. I am looking for some better photos to post. It turned up at the light trap to hunt for other bugs and the wings were so impressive, they looked like a ballgown...

My guess would be P. caelebs
Why, because you have read somewhere it occurs there? There are more species than this one in the genus and some additional undescribed ones.

just a guess....i remember reading an article that had something to do with this species which led me to think that is it.

Edit: just ignore my guess.....im almost forsure wrong :p

I know someone who reguarly goes out to Panama, i could email them your photo for a good guess?

I found it in Panama, deep in the jungle near the border of Colombia.

Thanks!

zana
Acanthops falcatoria

Acanthops falcatoria maybe, total guess.

It does look like it has a leather gown or cape, very cool.

Acanthops_falcatariaMale.jpg

Acanthops falcatoriaAcanthops falcatoria maybe, total guess.

It does look like it has a leather gown or cape, very cool.
There do seem to be some significant differences, even to my inexpert eye, between your specimen and Zana's:

The relative length of the antennae on your specimen is much less than on hers.

Hers has two spines on the outer aspect of the walking tibia, yours, none.

Hers appears to have no tibial spines on the grasping legs, on yours, spines are apparent.

But yes, very cool!

whoa.

i think it's Acanthops falcatoria as well

they are south american dead leaf.

could be just a female?

also for your differences to your "inexpert" eye, that is a drawing vs a real photo haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthops_falcatoria

"Acanthops falcatoria, common name South American Dead Leaf Mantis, is a species of praying mantis placed historically in the family Hymenopodidae and is one of many mantis from various genera that resembles a dead leaf.[1][2][3]" (Wikipedia)

i forgot how to cite like how we did in school. haha. but yeah

This is ridiculous. I have a member of this genus in my collection, so what is the sense behind this guesswork?

There are several related genera in the Acanthopinae, actually Acanthops, Decimiana, Pseudacanthops, Metilia, Miracanthops and Lagrecacanthops (and the enigmatic genus Astollia, probably a nomen nudum) with a total of over 36 species. I am sure I can show you males of all these species and you would not know to which genus they belong. I do. So c'mon guys, you should believe me that this isn't any Acanthops, Deroplatys, Phyllocrania or anything else but a Pseudacanthops. Contrary to some others I know about the stuff I'm writing. ;)

This is ridiculous. I have a member of this genus in my collection, so what is the sense behind this guesswork?There are several related genera in the Acanthopinae, actually Acanthops, Decimiana, Pseudacanthops, Metilia, Miracanthops and Lagrecacanthops (and the enigmatic genus Astollia, probably a nomen nudum) with a total of over 36 species. I am sure I can show you males of all these species and you would not know to which genus they belong. I do. So c'mon guys, you should believe me that this isn't any Acanthops, Deroplatys, Phyllocrania or anything else but a Pseudacanthops. Contrary to some others I know about the stuff I'm writing. ;)
It may help you to know, Christian, that there are probably many new members of this board who are not aware of your status as our resident mantis entomologist. Unfortunately, your profile is blank, so they are unable to discover your status from that.

It is helpful to learn, though, that the "enigmatic genus Astollia" is, after all, probably nothing more than a nomen nudum. I guess that I won't be trying to add any Astollia sp. to my collection.

So c'mon guys, you should believe me that this isn't any Acanthops, Deroplatys, Phyllocrania or anything else but a Pseudacanthops.
I believe you. So, what's the difference between Pseudacanthops and Acanthops that you can see in that picture?

what's the difference between Pseudacanthops and Acanthops that you can see in that picture?
There is a protuberance on the vertex not seen in Acanthops or Metilia. The shape of the costal field of the tegmina is unlike Acanthops or Metilia and there are lobes on the middle and hind legs, although this isn't a very reliable character. The other genera don't occur here and also look more closely to Acanthops. For the Mesoamerican genera, the vertex protuberance is a good indicator.

Latest posts