Cheap (<$20) Idolo Suitable Containers?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
I recently bought some L3 Idolos which are currently living in deli cups. I have heard that these guys need species enclosures to molt, so what do you guys recommend? I also already have several 10+ gallon aquariums, so anything that might make them suitable would also be appreciated.

The net cages are tough so do not worry about them taring up. And there mesh only have very VERY small holes!

Last edited by a moderator:
When they are l1 to like l4 I think it shouldn't hurt but when they get close to adult they will need something like a stick to molt on

if you use net cages be sure to glue some sticks or branches to the top of the net cage on the inside and on each side if desired and so they can molt and have gripping and what not and have raised idolos in a net cage before and also some gongies in the past so it does work with a little ingenuity!

if you use net cages be sure to glue some sticks or branches to the top of the net cage on the inside and on each side if desired and so they can molt and have gripping and what not and have raised idolos in a net cage before and also some gongies in the past so it does work with a little ingenuity!
Would it be inadvisable to keep 2 idolos in a net cube? Since they like flying food? Right how they are L3. I don't have a lot of space.

Plain net cage mesh is fine up to L4 but when they get older, they cannot grip it with their tarsi: so I hot glue a layer of this shelf liner to the top and sides (where the mesh is) so they can grip the rubbery material by sinking their tarsal hooks into it giving them great support for molting... also in addition to this shelf liner, use rough sticks like many people have mentioned before....it is the perfect griping material for the older Idolos...this is what it looks like (it comes in rolls) and you can usually find it at a dollar store.... http://www.amazon.com/Griptex-Wonderliner-Plus-3-Pack-White/dp/B000H7RX56

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression the small mesh was no good for them as it damaged their tarsi.
It's not exactly that it damages their tarsi, but when they older Idolos try to climb it, they force their tarsal hooks into the mesh holes and they get stuck and hurt themselves trying to get unstuck...the smaller idolos are ok with it because their hooks fit just fine because of their smaller hooks...

Latest posts