Chinese Mantis ootheca

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chessman007

Reaction score
Hi I am fairly new to this and I don't know about what time Chinese Mantids hatch? this is a problem because I am leaving for vacation an I don't want them to hatch while I'm gone. Could someone please help. :unsure:

How long have you had it out of refrigeration? Usually, they hatch out about a month after you've started warming them up. But, it could be as soon as 3 weeks or as long as 5-6 weeks...depending what temperature you're incubating them at.

Hope you have lots of deli cups & spare hands to grab babies when they hatch! :p

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much if they hatch while you're on vacation...they'll just eat each other till you get home. You'll probably end up with about half of them left if they hatched the day you leave and you return two weeks later. Maybe a bit less than half. (Depends what size container they hatch in...they'll need a lot of room.) They won't eat the first few days after hatching.

But, don't worry! Even if they eat more than half of their own population, chances are good you'll still have over 100 nymphs when you get back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really no way for anyone to accurately predict when an ooth will hatch.