Chinese Nymphs Not Eating Fruit Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asylum23

Reaction score
I have a few eggs' worth of newly hatched Chinese mantids. They are in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with plenty of bark. I have been feeding them numerous D. Melanogasters. They are not eating them for the most part, but pushing them away. In addition, they are not eating each other either. It seems like they will starve to death. They have their own lighting and I mist them with filtered water. Any ideas why they may not eat the fruit flies? Thanks!

When did they hatch? They won't eat for a couple days. They generally don't turn on each other for several days or more. Also a 2.5 gal is way too small for three ooths of chinese. Why did you hatch so many? One is more than enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give them a day or two, and they will eat. With that many in such a small enclosure, they will likely start eating each other, in addition to the fruit flies, in due time. Is your weather such that you could release some outdoors right now? No matter what you do, you won't have tons of them for long. Chinese nymphs' survival rate is low compared to the original hatch number. You will lose lots due to cannibalism, mis-molts, and general undetermined death.

They hatched about 3 days ago. Yes, I live in Las Vegas, so I did let a lot go outside. I ordered more flies and just got them today, put a bunch in and they seem to be eating better today.

I'm trying the Masa recipe as well for more fruit flies, but I only just began that 2 days ago. Thanks!

maybe they are eating, and they just eat them too fast!

I have never had a problem getting chinese mantids to eat. Not even the babies.

Just give them time

Latest posts