Choeradodis stalii - Peruvian Shield Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, here one pic about differences between males and females.

choeradodisstalii24yw9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The videos show another species, Choeradodis columbica. Never saw one of those alive. Nice.

Hi guys. This mantids species is Choeradodis strumaria. Video shows the same mantids because cesare is my friend here in Perú and he takes pics and makes this video.

As I said before, the video shows Ch. columbica. Like Ch. strumaria, Ch. columbica lacks a black patch on the inner side of the forefemur. However, Ch. strumaria has a differently shaped pronotum, 5 outer femoral spines, and does not occur in Peru. Ch. columbica can be recognized by a pronotum more similar to Ch. rhombicollis in the female, 4 outer femoral spines, and by the black points at the base of the large inner spines of the forefemora. It occurs in Ecuador, Peru and Colombia and fits best the specimen featured in the two videos.

As I said before, the video shows Ch. columbica. Like Ch. strumaria, Ch. columbica lacks a black patch on the inner side of the forefemur. However, Ch. strumaria has a differently shaped pronotum, 5 outer femoral spines, and does not occur in Peru. Ch. columbica can be recognized by a pronotum more similar to Ch. rhombicollis in the female, 4 outer femoral spines, and by the black points at the base of the large inner spines of the forefemora. It occurs in Ecuador, Peru and Colombia and fits best the specimen featured in the two videos.
Hello Christian, thanks for the ID keys on these species. Where can I get those????? as well as the species localities????

Anyways, you asked before if the Choeradodis was colected in high land or low land.

I believe Cristian fernando gets them from the same place Thomas get his at the coffe plantation or in the adjacent jungle.

regards

francisco

I don't know where Ch. columbica can be found, the specimen on the video was the first I ever saw. Presumably it can be found together with the other species, possibly only on the Pacific side? I just don't know.

Highland stock are hard to deal with in captivity. We tried to breed Ch. stalii twice, and both attempts failed. The temps by night are just too high in the lowlands. I only see chances for this species to get established in the hobby if the original stock is from lowland rainforest.

According to crisp raising this species is alot harder then the lesser species like rhomboderas and have to have conditions just right and such!

Well maybe...But since the people who brought it to culture could breed it quite easily I do not think it is that hard.They just keep it mysterious but beside the humidity level,no big deal.

Well maybe...But since the people who brought it to culture could breed it quite easily I do not think it is that hard.They just keep it mysterious but beside the humidity level,no big deal.
Full care and breeding details are in the newsletter that is linked above to help people who get the captive bred nymphs that will be available in the coming months

Seems pretty easy for a seasoned hobbyist. Maybe not a beginner species, but not one of the "first class" needy buggers. :lol: I think I could handle them. I'm gonna try if i get the chance. They are amazing looking creatures.

from my understanding you must have the humidity and temperatures just right or they will mismolt and die and cant be off by too much!

Latest posts