CosbyArt mantid thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My L3 female giant african mantis.her name is big bertha.ive seen her eat five crickets one after the other.cannot keep crickets around long cause she eats them all,eats everything but the legs lol
Your girl Bertha seems to be doing great. You should start your own mantid thread and post pictures, it's always nice to be able to look back at them as time goes on.

Wishing you luck with those nymphs Thomas...
Thanks Denise. So far the numbers are dwindling however the larger ones are still molting and have gotten much bigger lately. :)

O yeah! She is doing great.my male giant African molted a few days ago,an L4 already.decided to name him Bruno.

Tomorrow I'll be receiving a double shield mantis,cant wait! And the next couple days I think I'll be getting a few giant rainforest mantis!

I recently got a new species the New Zealand (Orthodera novaezealandiae), and I have three nymphs. I got them from TylerHoorn, here is the post about that. They are a rather inquisitive species, love to do the leaf/wind dance, and for those reasons (and others) reminds me of the Ghost mantises (Phyllocrania paradoxa). They do however have a large thorax shield and I can't wait till they age to see what they look like as adults.

10-1-16nz-mantis.jpg

I also rescued a female I named Rosy, a Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis) over a month ago. She was injured by September 4th, when I first saw her, I'm not sure how though. I took to feeding her wild crickets I caught and she hung around like that about a week. After the week I decided to just take her inside, where she still demands hand feeding with my tweezers (as she will wait by her feeding hole once I remove the sponge, and wait for prey offered to her, any loose placed inside she ignored until they bother her near the lid). :D

rosy9-4-16.jpg

rosy9-6-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I came home from work today, pulled into my ivy covered carport, and saw several of the Japanese lady bugs swarming around in the upper 60F weather. I took a quick look around hoping to find a ooth or two to hatch out. Well I found a Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) female staring me down.
smile-big.gif

I went inside to get my net and a habitat for her, and after getting her secured I found a gravid Caroline female (Stagmomantis carolina) just a few feet away. I got her in the net and walked her inside and put her into her own habitat as well. More searching turned up no more mantids, and I'll wait a bit longer before pulling through the ivy to search for ooths (as apparently even in the 30/40 F lows there are still a few females out there laying ooths). :D

11-7-16chinese.jpg

11-7-16carolina.jpg

My Carolina mother laid her ooth on a branch, and just recently finished. Here she is just minutes ago, resting. :D

11-9-16-carolinaooth.jpg

i would love to have a carolina and a brunners mantis
I would have agreed about the Brunner's mantis (Brunneria borealis) awhile back but since my ooths (see my previous posts) I take care of any nymphs that may hatch (been a few months since the last one now) and hope at least one will survive - not sure what the issue is, but I know I'm going to try them again anytime soon.

Carolina's (Stagmomantis carolina) is still one of my favorites, and started this hobby with my first mantis I rescued. I don't have any for sale right now, perhaps in a few months I'll have some Carolina nymphs running around. ;)

You can buy mantids from the classified section (see the feedback section about the sellers too). Of course there are many great sites to buy mantids from online such as BugsInCyberspace, MantisPlace, and MantisPets the most common and recommended for mantis themselves.

Perhaps you may have some luck finding one or more mantids, or their ooths, yourself too - it is rather late for mantids, but the right time for ooths. See my guide here for tips/photos/information on finding them.

My Chinese girl laid her first ooth for me late Tuesday (Nov 15th). I was in the process of feeding all my pets when I realized what she was up to and got out my camera. ;)

11-15-16chineseooth1.jpg

CONGRATS on the ooths! Sounds like you will have lots of babies this spring! 
Thanks. :D I plan to hatch a few over the winter, but will keep most diapaused until spring for re-release. :)

With the last of the warm temperatures this week I was hoping to find a few more mantids, but it seems the 20F lows last week finished off any still around this late. Even with my beating sheets I didn't find any, or a single crab spider (usually I find about a dozen each time I beat a plant, during spring/summer), and only one tiny jumping spider. Seems the only thing left is some flying insects, at least until we hit the below freeze temps again this weekend and remaining until spring. :(

Really makes me wish I lived some place warm year around. ;)

Congratulations @CosbyArt! That's awesome you're able to hold a female chinese this late in the season and have it lay it's sack! All of my chinese mantids I've ever kept never would make it past late October for some reason. I.E. the female I had in September went downhill fast after she laid what was her last Ooth.. I think she had laid quite a few in her adulthood before I caught her :(  But alas that last sack she laid was fertile and as some of you know hatched!

And I know what you mean about this weather changing and all the insects dying off.. I saw a male chinese mantis fly around on campus a couple of weeks ago when it was still warmer. Never made the effort to catch him though as he might have lived a long life already. But that was the very last wild mantis I saw. :(  

I cannot wait until next summer though. I plan on making a few trips to Lake Monroe then and mantis search! I went there this past summer in late July to look at geodes and I saw tons of mantids there of all sorts, adult, some sub-adult, Carolinas.. Chinese.. And one very mean female chinese mantis that immediately displayed her threat pose when I got within 2 feet of her.  :ph34r:

Congratulations @CosbyArt! That's awesome you're able to hold a female chinese this late in the season and have it lay it's sack! All of my chinese mantids I've ever kept never would make it past late October for some reason. I.E. the female I had in September went downhill fast after she laid what was her last Ooth.. I think she had laid quite a few in her adulthood before I caught her :(  But alas that last sack she laid was fertile and as some of you know hatched!

And I know what you mean about this weather changing and all the insects dying off.. I saw a male chinese mantis fly around on campus a couple of weeks ago when it was still warmer. Never made the effort to catch him though as he might have lived a long life already. But that was the very last wild mantis I saw. :(  

I cannot wait until next summer though. I plan on making a few trips to Lake Monroe then and mantis search! I went there this past summer in late July to look at geodes and I saw tons of mantids there of all sorts, adult, some sub-adult, Carolinas.. Chinese.. And one very mean female chinese mantis that immediately displayed her threat pose when I got within 2 feet of her.  :ph34r:
It is a first for me finding any this late in the year. :) Usually I collect females in early to mid October and they tend to die off by December, but have had some that make it as long as February. :D

Yeah I hear you there, but at least the last male got a chance to find another mate and lived his life free.

Well if you do come up to go to Lake Monroe, send me a PM before hand as you are free to stop by (you pass me here in Bedford to get there lol). If you want I can show you my pets, and we can talk hobby. ;) Perhaps afterwards would be better, that way you can show off your catches too.

See my next post below. 

I had a previous Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) female I collected September 27th, and my wife named her Nikki. She laid a tiny messed-up ooth shortly afterwards, and as it was so small and several eggs were exposed I thought it was a dud. Sadly it was her last ooth, and she died a few days after her ooth, living only a little over a week with me. I looked through my photos, but can't see any of her, likely due to the short time I didn't get any either. :(

I left her ooth in her original habitat just in case though, and thought nothing more of it. Well it started hatching tonight! :D

At the moment I am counting only 7 Chinese nymphs, but even that amazes me from such a tiny/weird ooth and the quick hatching time without any diapause, but perhaps there may be some more in the morning. In the top middle of the photo you can see the tiny ooth Nikki laid, and several of her nymphs running around in there. Tomorrow I'll have to get some better photos when they are done hatching, and as I have only 2 hours until I have to get up for work. ;)

11-18-16chinesehatching.jpg

I had a previous Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) female I collected September 27th, and my wife named her Nikki. She laid a tiny messed-up ooth shortly afterwards, and as it was so small and several eggs were exposed I thought it was a dud. Sadly it was her last ooth, and she died a few days after her ooth, living only a little over a week with me. I looked through my photos, but can't see any of her, likely due to the short time I didn't get any either. :(

I left her ooth in her original habitat just in case though, and thought nothing more of it. Well it started hatching tonight! :D

At the moment I am counting only 7 Chinese nymphs, but even that amazes me from such a tiny/weird ooth and the quick hatching time without any diapause, but perhaps there may be some more in the morning. In the top middle of the photo you can see the tiny ooth Nikki laid, and several of her nymphs running around in there. Tomorrow I'll have to get some better photos when they are done hatching, and as I have only 2 hours until I have to get up for work. ;)
That's really crazy! can't believe any hatched, and especially so quickly without a diapause! 

That's really crazy! can't believe any hatched, and especially so quickly without a diapause! 
I agree, it is strange. Typically ooths I've hatched of Tenodera sinensis (and even Stagmomantis carolina) take a average of 90 days to hatch without any diapause. With diapause somewhere between 30-40 days. This ooth hatched in about 50 days, and still just seven nymphs in the container today.

I switched out the habitat lid to one with organza fabric to feed the nymphs fruit flies just now, so I took the opportunity and took some better shots (front and back) of the ooth that Nikki laid. It shows how small and abnormal it really is. ;)

I placed the lid with the ooth still attached onto another container, just in case any more nymphs decide to hatch later on. At this point I'm not sure what to expect from it. :)

11-19-16ooth1.jpg

11-19-16ooth2.jpg

Hey @CosbyArt! Wow, congrats on the hatch! :D  That is astonishing it hatched so quicky! Come to think about it, my female back in late September laid hers right on the 2nd of October and it hatched on November 7th.. The ooth was real rough looking too, but it was a decent size.. It's just the foam was flaking off everywhere prior to hatching and it looked like it shriveled and dried up. Think the incubation period was just over 30 days! I was very surprised.. Not only did I think it was a dud, if it were to ever hatch, I wasn't expecting anything to happen until January! I really am wondering if their non-diapaused ooths can hatch much sooner than the 90 days that many people think they hatch in. It's such a great feeling when you get a surprise hatch!

As for meeting up with you in the long run during Lake Monroe, I'd love to! I'll for sure PM you around that time regarding that! Maybe we can scout the park together sometime and see what we can collect. That park is absolutely filled with them, especially in Late July! All sorts of them in different stages, and a good variety of Carolinas, Chinese, and I'm sure other species that I have yet to learn about that are naturalized!

Hey @CosbyArt! Wow, congrats on the hatch! :D  That is astonishing it hatched so quicky! Come to think about it, my female back in late September laid hers right on the 2nd of October and it hatched on November 7th.. The ooth was real rough looking too, but it was a decent size.. It's just the foam was flaking off everywhere prior to hatching and it looked like it shriveled and dried up. Think the incubation period was just over 30 days! I was very surprised.. Not only did I think it was a dud, if it were to ever hatch, I wasn't expecting anything to happen until January! I really am wondering if their non-diapaused ooths can hatch much sooner than the 90 days that many people think they hatch in. It's such a great feeling when you get a surprise hatch!

As for meeting up with you in the long run during Lake Monroe, I'd love to! I'll for sure PM you around that time regarding that! Maybe we can scout the park together sometime and see what we can collect. That park is absolutely filled with them, especially in Late July! All sorts of them in different stages, and a good variety of Carolinas, Chinese, and I'm sure other species that I have yet to learn about that are naturalized!
Not sure about other members, but I have listed 90 days for undiapaused ooths as that is the average of the dozens of native ooths I hatched and kept records for. Some are quicker of course, and others have taken longer too. I think I should reexamine my logs and see if I can find any variations on length - likely due to the higher temps as with the heat on in the house, upstairs we tend to be much warmer lately. :)

Great to hear you had a ooth do the same, it is great to have some nymphs without the long wait. :D

Alright sounds good, just let me know when you come this way next year. I've lived in this area my whole life, so I can show you some more accessible areas off the beaten path too, and another nearby lake area if your interested. :)

Not sure about other members, but I have listed 90 days for undiapaused ooths as that is the average of the dozens of native ooths I hatched and kept records for. Some are quicker of course, and others have taken longer too. I think I should reexamine my logs and see if I can find any variations on length - likely due to the higher temps as with the heat on in the house, upstairs we tend to be much warmer lately. :)

Great to hear you had a ooth do the same, it is great to have some nymphs without the long wait. :D

Alright sounds good, just let me know when you come this way next year. I've lived in this area my whole life, so I can show you some more accessible areas off the beaten path too, and another nearby lake area if your interested. :)
@CosbyArt Yeah my room can get pretty toasty with my desktop sometimes.. I can see heat enhancing the hatch time a bit. Ones that have hatched while I was a kid always took two months or longer.. This one I had and your hatched pretty darn quick which is amazing. Since yours only had 7 hatch, I wonder if there will be a round 2!

And right on I'd love to check out some spots out in Indiana! I'm here out in Hebron so I'm right by the border.. Think where you live is under an hour away.. Monroe was always an hour and a half drive max.. Took 2 hours one time as I got lost on the gravel roads south of the park.. Also found two Carolinas during that ordeal! If you want I can show you some nice spots out here in Kentucky as well! Some fields and meadows are filled with them.. every golden rod top will have a mantis of some kind on it, not even kidding. Maybe do a trip down to Cumberland if those wildfires haven't wiped them out south of me.. Also.. My sister's place down in Pendleton county had about an acre of just random weeds, flowers, golden-rods, and a other tall grass, and I kid you not, I saw easily 10 praying mantises in one block and saw two pairs mating. I also believe I saw a Carolina and a Chinese mantis mating too down there which was odd. I don't know if her yard has all the grass/weeds/wild flowers as she might have cut them down for her horses.. But I may ask her to keep an acre far back for me to hunt in next summer  :)  I've also checked out Idlewild, which is a park right up the street from me.. Lots of shrubs and tall plants there to look for them, but could never ever find any (I've noticed some places, they're everywhere, and others they are just non-existent.. I guess construction/urban expansion really is having an effect on them because I have to go pretty far out now to search for them.)

@CosbyArt Yeah my room can get pretty toasty with my desktop sometimes.. I can see heat enhancing the hatch time a bit. Ones that have hatched while I was a kid always took two months or longer.. This one I had and your hatched pretty darn quick which is amazing. Since yours only had 7 hatch, I wonder if there will be a round 2!

And right on I'd love to check out some spots out in Indiana! I'm here out in Hebron so I'm right by the border.. Think where you live is under an hour away.. Monroe was always an hour and a half drive max.. Took 2 hours one time as I got lost on the gravel roads south of the park.. Also found two Carolinas during that ordeal! If you want I can show you some nice spots out here in Kentucky as well! Some fields and meadows are filled with them.. every golden rod top will have a mantis of some kind on it, not even kidding. Maybe do a trip down to Cumberland if those wildfires haven't wiped them out south of me.. Also.. My sister's place down in Pendleton county had about an acre of just random weeds, flowers, golden-rods, and a other tall grass, and I kid you not, I saw easily 10 praying mantises in one block and saw two pairs mating. I also believe I saw a Carolina and a Chinese mantis mating too down there which was odd. I don't know if her yard has all the grass/weeds/wild flowers as she might have cut them down for her horses.. But I may ask her to keep an acre far back for me to hunt in next summer  :)  I've also checked out Idlewild, which is a park right up the street from me.. Lots of shrubs and tall plants there to look for them, but could never ever find any (I've noticed some places, they're everywhere, and others they are just non-existent.. I guess construction/urban expansion really is having an effect on them because I have to go pretty far out now to search for them.)
Nothing more from the ooth yet, I really doubt I'll see any more hatch from that ooth - of course I didn't expect to see the ones that did hatch. :D

I had to look up Hebron, and it seems your straight east of me in the Kentucky tip into Ohio, so with that travel you don't pass by here as I figured you were south. ;) Sure sounds great, I'm always up for new locations to search. I believe you on the numbers, as I often find 30-60 mantids on my sisters property at one time (I have to quit looking as I get too many). :D

Sorry to hear you don't have any locations close by to search. I had many more myself, but the property owners started regularly mowing the areas last year so the mantid havens are fewer. While mantids do find isolated pockets to survive and even thrive in redeveloped property, it is much more difficult to find them in the urban setup.

My Chinese female (Tenodera sinensis) I caught/rescued November 7th, produced two ooths for me before she died, with likely many laid outside too. Her last ooth was much smaller and was a sign she was about to die, which she did two days later.

The little Carolina female (Stagmomantis carolina) I caught/rescued November 7th, is still going at it, and has produced three ooths so far and is currently enjoying a cricket.

From the Chinese nymphs that hatched from the "dud ooth" on November 18th, only two successfully molted to L2. Those two nymphs though are doing well and molted to L3 on Tuesday (Dec 6th). Here are some new photos of them, and I just separated them to individual homes for their safety (they seemed to enjoy each others company and never swatted at one another so I left them be until tonight - which I found odd as it tends to be against their nature).

My wife named the two nymphs Frick and Frack, which were the names of some twins in a Fern Michaels book she just finished reading.

I find it rather interesting the wide color variations between the two, especially as they were kept in the same habitat their whole lives until now. :)

12-8-16Frick.jpg

12-8-16Frack.jpg

Latest posts