Cricket wound

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceface

Reaction score
Sad to say Zarana, an L6 orchid, was bitten by her cricket. It looks like it may have chewed on her arm while she was eating it, and now part of her raptorial arm is gnawed/missing. 

I don't ever typically feed crickets to my mantises, but I had a bad batch of houseflies and ran through my blue bottles before I could get more due to the holidays. I had to get something locally and crickets were the only option. I'm so bummed! This is exactly why I don't use crickets 😢 

I gave her honey water and put some honey water on the wound. Anything else I can do to help her? Is this type of thing potentially fatal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave her honey water and put some honey water on the wound. Anything else I can do to help her? Is this type of thing potentially fatal?
😥  bad run of luck 

Orin's book says crazy glue and paper to make a patch.

I only feed small crickets. At a decent feeding I'll offer two.

I would've given her 2 small ones myself, but my husband fed her a larger one. She seemed to tackle it okay, but clearly it wasn't okay. The one effing time I feed crickets... 

That nasty cricket made a bad wound. :( I think you did all you could for Zarana. I hope the wound won't infect and that next molt will start healing her.

When I gave crickets I did that under watchfull eye. Cochise and the others I had at that time loved them. But after problems with them, I started using grasshoppers,dubias and now flies instead. (hubby not happy with flies in fridge)

So... She ate the injured arm segment. I got home from work and the injured part is missing. It's the only answer, as she is all alone in her enclosure now. Hopefully she won't get an infection 

I am sorry that happened! Crickets are best handfed, but I guess you know that now! If she ate the injured segment, it was to prevent infection from the cricket's bite. Give her plenty of honey. I don't think raptorials grow back, but the wound should clot soon as long as she doesn't keep bothering it. Do not use anything artificial or with chemicals because it is in a spot where she can reach it to groom it and you don't want her eating anything dangerous. I hope she is ok!

- MantisGirl13

Thanks for the advice, but she died overnight 😢😭 

This is Exactly why I don't feed crickets and I wouldn't have, had I not been in a bind. I watched all the Mantids hunt to make sure they were able to tackle their cricket. Zarana caught and was eating hers, so I assumed it was fine and put her enclosure back without watching her eat the entire cricket, and this is what happens. The one effing time 

Im very sorry this happened to y'all!

Noël took one yesterday in her new nano. I didnt like the way she had grappled it, she had her arms around a piece of foliage with the cricket on the other side. She was chomping at the cricket but not landing any bites and I panicked and disrupted her feeds before the cricket could do any damage, as tiny as it is, compared to her hulking size.

She got the cricket cleanly at next strike. But all it takes is a couple chomps.

But, what happened to you certainly strikes caution in my approach from now on. Again, I feed only small crickets to bigger mantises, and 1/4 pins to the smaller ones.

😔

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, all the crickets were "small" and "extra small" from Petco. The one that killed Zarana was about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. Not big by any means, or out of proportion to the mantis

Outside of the fatal wound Zarana received, I also had to remove debris from Bellatrix's mouth while she was eating a cricket that appeared to be part of the water source sponge in the cricket enclosure. 

Bottom line: I will risk my mantids starving to death while I wait for flies next time rather than lose them to a cricket

I have always disliked crickets anyway, now my cricket dislike has real substance and merit

Flies forever, crickets never 

RIP Zarana