Dead babies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plerny300

Reaction score
I hatched some praying mantises about a week ago (a Chinese mantis Ootheca and a Carolina mantis Ootheca) and I kept 5 of each species, but then after a couple days, they just dropped dead and now I only have 1, which will probably die soon too. Does this normally happen or am I doing something wrong? I put them in a 32 oz cup with a vented lid and I put in a lodicule stick and other cleansed sticks and twigs. I also misted them with distilled water every day because I live in a dryer climate. A few of them I think tried to molt just fell and stopped moving.

Very high rate of death. I am waiting till it gets a bit warmer and I can launch them outside.
I had one Chinese mantis sack hatch about a month ago. I said good morning to the one that had survived, noticed another sack had hatched. Put them in there own container. Went to check on the other one and he had dropped to floor of container. He is not doing well.

I got 40 quail eggs and 5 hatched so life is tough in real life.....

I hatched some praying mantises about a week ago (a Chinese mantis Ootheca and a Carolina mantis Ootheca) and I kept 5 of each species, but then after a couple days, they just dropped dead and now I only have 1, which will probably die soon too. Does this normally happen or am I doing something wrong? I put them in a 32 oz cup with a vented lid and I put in a lodicule stick and other cleansed sticks and twigs. I also misted them with distilled water every day because I live in a dryer climate. A few of them I think tried to molt just fell and stopped moving.
Chinese are delicate, especially if it's too dry, but usually Stagmomantis are hardy. You probably have too much ventilation or airflow.

Latest posts