Dead Female Ghost and Antibiotics?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantibama

Reaction score
lol, I don't really know what I'm hoping will happen.... I went to remove my "dead" ghost from the container and it was still moving. I have no clue why she decided to keel over but I got a random idea. My brother has lyme disease and the treatment involves trying a lot of random antibiotics until he finds what works for him, so I took a prescription that was no longer in use and crushed up a pill and diluted it with honey and water and fed a small amount to the curled up goner. If the mantis happens to be dying from a bacterial infection would this idea have any merit? Probably a fool's mission but I'll let you know when she finally dies. :p

Might as well try it....Doctor Mad Mantis
devil2.gif

Why do you believe it was a "bacterial infection?" That term gets thrown around a lot. No idea where it comes from.

I don't have any evidence to believe it is anything, I'm just winging it in a vain attempt to not be minus one mantis because I've gone through so much trouble to hopefully have a successful breeding population and now I only have one healthy female (the sick one is still barely alive <_< ). I didn't start with an ooth, as it's my first time and didn't want to try that just yet, so I don't have the number of mantids I would like. I've invested what my meager minimum wage paying job as a lab aid would consider a substantial amount of money, so I don't see myself trying to expand my population size if that is what's required. Besides, is throwing antibiotics at a problem, despite evidence or lack thereof, much different than what the average general practitioner would do? :p What I've read on the forums is that poor ventilation can lead to conditions that are conducive to the growth of harmful bacteria and this could be introduced to the mantis' system. This is what I mean by bacterial infection, but if there is some sort of fallacy with the term or my logic I do invite you to educate my naive self. :D I did spray quite a lot of water and haven't cleaned my sprayer in a minute.... However, the water tends to evaporate fairly quickly and I've never considered it a problem. It also could have been transmitted from the flies. The other mantids use the same food source and are fine, so maybe that's not it. Another possibility I've considered is that I left my heat lamp on for two days as I was off spending the past couple days drinking w/ my combat engineer buddy who was in town for a limited time, and I didn't want to drive home from a friend's apartment the other night. Perhaps stress got to her? I'm new to this but I haven't completely failed yet. I do feel like my care for my mantids has been consistent and I have tried to maintain sanitary conditions. I'm also aware of the "sometimes they just die" opinion and maybe it's due to poor genetics or an inability to provide conditions similar to the natural environment of the species, but they obviously die of something. I will tell you what I have learned from this experience so far. Taking care of mantids takes a considerable amount of planning and effort, and, while I originally entered this hobby with the grand plans of owning as many species as possible, I think, in all likelihood, I will only rear a couple species at a time and take pictures to catalog my adventures. :)

I wouldn't worry about it that much. Nobody knows why they seem to die for no reason sometimes. I wouldn't be trying to track down a "bacterial infection."

While I wish you luck, I doubt antibiotics would help, even if your mantid has a microbial infection. I don't think the fore, mid, or hind-gut of a mantid can absorb and disperse an antibiotic the way a mammalian digestive system can. And it would be nearly impossible to figure out an appropriate dosage; if the medicine could be absorbed and would work in the same way for a mantid than it can a person, and who knows what havoc it could wreack on a mantid's system. Imagine fixing a dent in your car door with a jack-hammer.

If it were me, I'd give her plenty of water to drink and try switching her food source to see if she perks up after a few days. If she does, great, if not, it's not an unexpected occurrence.

lol, I don't really know what I'm hoping will happen.... I went to remove my "dead" ghost from the container and it was still moving. I have no clue why she decided to keel over but I got a random idea. My brother has lyme disease and the treatment involves trying a lot of random antibiotics until he finds what works for him, so I took a prescription that was no longer in use and crushed up a pill and diluted it with honey and water and fed a small amount to the curled up goner. If the mantis happens to be dying from a bacterial infection would this idea have any merit? Probably a fool's mission but I'll let you know when she finally dies. :p
Hello, it once came to my mind that my "ill" mantids could be suffering from bacterial infection and that I might try antibiotics. But I gave up this idea as indeed, 1-There was no evidence that the cause of the disease was bacterial infection 2- Even so, antibiotics given to humains or other animals are NOT supposed to work on insects and they may even be harmful. When an antibiotic is prescribed by a vet to cure a dog for instance, the dose and the duration of the treatment are established according to very strict therapeutic medical protocoles, depending on the nature of the germ, the weight of the animal and the degree of infection. I don't know whether there are antibiotics for insects available on the market, although I heard that companies providing crickets, locusts and other insects as pet food do use antibiotics to prevent infections from spreading through their stock (the information has yet to be checked and confirmed).

Latest posts