deep freeze

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodtkr

Reaction score
Had to put another kid in cryo-stasus last night. Baby giant African I affectionately called Pukey ( it hurled on its paper towel ) it would drink but not eat. I found it floundering around on the bottom of the deli cup. I hope someone puts me in cryo or steps on my air hose or unplug me if I'm in a bad way ; /

Whats wrong with you and 'chaeta buddy?

Upload a pic of their housing and let me know your general care

If you get any time to read my caresheet it should help a bit.

They're L3/4 sphodromantis Tanzania. I have them in 16 oz deli cups with fabric vented lids. 5 out of 6 molted and are savage eaters ..this one didn't eat since molting.

Oh i thought it was giant african stick cause you had one before im sorry.

I havent kept sphodros since blue flash, i hope the rest go good.

Sometimes it happens. I recall a time when every mantis I had died from some unknown cause. I ended up having to start over after disinfecting all equipment.

I would do exactly that if more than one kicked but I think the rest are OK. My problem now is humidity. I bought a hygrometer yasterday and its only 45% in my apmt. 2 out of 5 shields had trouble molting ( legs stuck ) the 3rd did it with ease. I mist the lids often I guess a small humidifier is next? The wife saw a penguin shaped one and now wants it ; )

So sorry for your loss... Sometimes you go nuts trying to figure the whole thing out... I know you are working hard, and doing the best you can with your mantis. I think the hardest part of this hobby is getting the temps right... especially here, where we have such drastic weather changes... again sorry for your loss.

Thanx...here too 35 one day 0 the next. Gas heat doesn't help either. Makes it kinda dry. I think the humidifier will help me as well ; )

I used to use pearlite (a mess) but after changing to moss stuff (pictured below) the humidity has been fantastic.

I use the moss in conjunction with screened deli cups filled with water.

I haven't had to do a major clean up of the substrate yet, though I suspect I will need to screen out dead fly parts - eventually. <_<

Note: Not promoting a specific brand, but the forest moss sure has helped!

91IUzse29hL._SX522_.jpg

Thanx everyone for the info and advice. Good thing I bought all the young kids cuz I'm about to loose some adults. Coming up on the year mark.

I used to use pearlite (a mess) but after changing to moss stuff (pictured below) the humidity has been fantastic.

I use the moss in conjunction with screened deli cups filled with water.

I haven't had to do a major clean up of the substrate yet, though I suspect I will need to screen out dead fly parts - eventually. <_<

Note: Not promoting a specific brand, but the forest moss sure has helped!

91IUzse29hL._SX522_.jpg
i HATE that stuff!!no offense to u or anything but i used that stuff for my female toad when i was breeding them and she needed a few days break from my males and the stuff (according to my mom-im anosmic) stank up the room and it attracted fungus gnats that really irritated everyone

i found that similar products (frog moss) should be rinsed with hot water first then used and that helps mitigate such issues

I used sphagnum at first but the mantis were pulling it up along with any food. Then I switched to sheet moss which worked well til I saw folks on here talking about the coconut fiber stuff. Cheap..condensed..holds a little moisture. I like it ; )

Latest posts