Deroplatys desiccata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana_Mantids

Reaction score
RenderedImage.jpeg
IMG_0685.jpeg
IMG_0611.jpeg

Some background information:

Deroplatys desiccata
Giant Dead Leaf Mantis

I got both of these wonderful specimens as a small sexed pair. (Thanks to Arizona Mantids for the chance to raise this amazing species. You should contact her if you are interested in healthy and amazing mantis species) Now, I have a mature pair, and many ooths and nymphs on the way. I’m here to show you my beautiful mantises and make more people love this beautiful, giant, and hardy mantis as much as I do.

A feeder insect got into my incubator and ate half of one of my Deroplatys ooths last night. This ooth has had a pretty rough time. This ooth was left out of my females enclosure for a week by a friend who was looking after my mantises (and didn’t know it was an egg). It completely dried up in the lovely 35% humidity we have here in Montana.instead of throwing it away, I kept the ooth thinking that there was a chance that a few nymphs would hatch out. A couple of weeks ago, 1 nymph hatched out. I thought it was a scout, but still none came for the next two weeks. That nymph (even though it was kept in the right conditions) died for no apparent reason. Last night, a small feeder insect made its way into my incubator and ate the top half of the ooth. In doing this, it revealed fully alive (and some moving) and developed nymphs. Now I in know that my ooths are fertile, I just wish I would have figured that out in a different way. Sorry for the long post, but pictures of the ooth and a mangled unhatched nymph are below.
IMG_1070.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1075.jpeg
IMG_1071.jpeg
IMG_1072.jpeg
IMG_1073.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sexual dimorphism in L4 (I believe) Deroplatys desiccata. Female -> first pic
Male -> second pic.
IMG_0171.jpeg
IMG_0160.jpeg

I’m was really unlucky with this species. Only one of my females ooths hatched due to incorrect incubation on all of the other desiccata ooths. Fortunately I am left with 2 females and 1 males. I have an extra pair arriving this Thursday. Hopefully this time around is more successful.
IMG_2622.jpeg
IMG_2623.jpeg
IMG_2629.jpeg
IMG_2645.jpeg
IMG_2646.jpeg

Latest posts