Dividing a tank?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuhan

Reaction score
Hello!! Been a while since I posted here.

I currently have two male sphodromantis lineola (one adult and one subadult). Since I was anticipating one to be a female, I have one large and one small enclosure on standby. However, since they’re both male, it seems a bit silly to have one huge tank swallowing one of them while the other gets a glorified critter keeper 😕 so I was thinking, I have a lot of cardboard and such on hand, so why not divvy up my large tank into two medium ones? I’m asking here since I want to be sure the proximity wouldn’t stress them out. I’m not all too knowledgeable abt pheromones and such. I’ve got at least a few days before the other male molts, so I’ve got time to prepare regardless.

How big is the tank? That should work, as long as the tank is big enough and the middle wall has a good seal. Males don't send out pheromones, so you don't have to worry about that.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
its a 10g tank my hamster was in a while ago (he outgrew it pretty quick). I'm just realizing I don't have any silicone... I'm gonna assume elmer's won't cut it? 😕 would a border of duct tape suffice for the bottom and sides, and would just keeping it flush with the lid work? I don't think mantids can squeeze through things like that, but...

@snuhan Dont use tape to divide.

Tape will come loose and your mantis can get stuck to it or trapped, and lose a tarsus, or worse. 

Don't use tape on it. You can use hot glue to glue the divider. Are you planning on making the divider out of cardboard? I would suggest using something plastic because if you have it humid the cardboard might get moldy.

NO TAPE!!!! A ten gal should work fine. I would suggest a glue like hot glue, and lots of it! It doesn't have any fumes or chemicals that could harm a mantis, and it is not dissolved by water, so if you mist the cage it won't break down. 

- MantisGirl13

geez louise!!! You're all right, I hadn't thought too hard when I mentioned tape! I am planning to make it out of cardboard; lineolas don't need to be super humid so I think I'll be alright. Maybe a tight layer of cellophane, sealed underneath with the glue? Hot glue sounds like a much better idea, I'll probably use that 😄

OH and fast edit, I would use plastic but I don't have access to too many materials... I'm only even able to think about doing this since I happen to have a box on hand.

Latest posts