Do Chinese mantids hide in high temps(100F-105F)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantidDan

Reaction score
Do they it has been in the hundreds for four days now will they be okay? These temps are not normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they it has been in the hundreds for four days now will they be okay? These temps are not normal.
If they get used to 100 to 105 degrees which they do they do not usually go away from where they are for that reason. I guess if they were used to 75 degrees and suddenly were exposed to 100-105 degrees then he would try to find a way to get cooler like going in the shade. Those temps are fine. If he gets in the hot sun it will get a lot hotter than that and it will melt the mantis so do not keep it in the sun :sailor: .

If they get used to 100 to 105 degrees which they do they do not usually go away from where they are for that reason. I guess if they were used to 75 degrees and suddenly were exposed to 100-105 degrees then he would try to find a way to get cooler like going in the shade. Those temps are fine. If he gets in the hot sun it will get a lot hotter than that and it will melt the mantis so do not keep it in the sun :sailor: .
they are free roaming in the garden and there are places for them to hide under if it gets sunny so then they should be fine.

mine in the greenhouse hide during the day when it is really hot and then in the evening they come out and I can get a head count

Yeah they seem to get much more active at night,for that species,but even with the 100 degree heat theyre still out there,maybe not at day though

Yeah they seem to get much more active at night,for that species,but even with the 100 degree heat theyre still out there,maybe not at day though
You must have seen males. Males go out at night to find females and are attracted to lights. I have not seen a female leave her place unless it was not a good place.

They usually like to hang, and if I had to stay outside in this 100+ heat, u bettcha I would be hanging! :hang: ! Grannyma, no likie the heat! And they do stay hidden!

I often see them in the summer on the top of vegetation. But I am sure if they get too hot they will find shade.

I think the obvious solution is to get some of those little paper drink umbrellas and make some much needed shade for all your mantis budies. :p

They are only like L3 or L4 i dont think they are doing that yet

Hahaha yes right now they are too young! But still I see Chinese Mantids around lights and they are all male. The males seem to be attracted to light. I used to think only adult males would go to lights far from tall grass (actually not far but I would guess far for a mantis). I do not remember seeing a female around a light but I have seen many males around lights. Maybe both female and male nymphs are attracted to light about the same amount and mostly only male nymphs are seen around lights because they actually move around a lot as nymphs and adult so they find the lights. Thine adult females are able to fly but most of the time adult females are too heavy to fly but males can fly most of their time. Most of the Chinese Mantids around here are sub-adult now.​

P1010525.JPG

Hahaha yes right now they are too young! But still I see Chinese Mantids around lights and they are all male. The males seem to be attracted to light. I used to think only adult males would go to lights far from tall grass (actually not far but I would guess far for a mantis). I do not remember seeing a female around a light but I have seen many males around lights. Maybe both female and male nymphs are attracted to light about the same amount and mostly only male nymphs are seen around lights because they actually move around a lot as nymphs and adult so they find the lights. Thine adult females are able to fly but most of the time adult females are too heavy to fly but males can fly most of their time. Most of the Chinese Mantids around here are sub-adult now.
Are mine sub-adult i am not sure i just made a random guess that they were L3 or L4

Well then it is Tenodera angustipennis is the care the same as a Chinese mantis? Is Tenodera angustipennis also nocturnal?