Egyptian mantis enclosure.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seal36

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am starting this thread so I can show you my Egyptian mantis enclosure and ask for you opinions I have not completed the tank yet so it is a work in progress and I know that they need some stick to climb on and everything but I wanted to show you the substrate and the floor decorations and keep you up to date about my progress. So at the minute there is only the sand and plants in the tank I need to add some height to it to.

Any comments will help thanks from Tom

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
shooooot.... I think its a nice start bro, I was going to do an African scene when I owned my budwings... Never got the chance before they passed.

I like the plants, where'd you find those? Looks almost like grass.

I'd add some nice looking sticks... You can try to boil and bake them to ensure any parasites are eliminated. When I baked a piece of log I found it gave it a more " aged " look.

I'm glad that you think it looks nice because I wanted to create a habitat that is function for the mantis but also something nice for me to look at. The plants are called dwarf hairgrass, they are aquatic plants but I decided to put them in the sand instead as I know the Egyptian mantis comes from the desert so is used to small grasses and bushes. Thanks again from Tom

That is a really nice enclosure!

Miomantises are as easy as they get. Short of a shoebox (which may also work) any enclosure that has something to grip during molting should work.

I should post some of my old miomantis pics sometime!

I was thinking for humidity what I would do is spray the grass and then that can increase humidity and give the mantis something to drink off of and that's how they would get their water in the wild. Thanks for the comments from Tom

I kept a large group of them in a mini greenhouse once. I just let them do their thing.

Were can I get one? and how many species can be kept in there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seal36 really nice enclosure! Love it...

Rick awesome enclosure.. I wish I had the space for that!

Thanks for sharing..

@Rick: Now that is amazing, I really love the way that looks.

@Seal36: I think it looks good, your mantids should be happy campers =)

This was years ago and was just something I was trying. It worked well for that particular species. But like any large enclosure you have to feed a lot more to ensure they get enough.

Right. It is a great looking idea though! Maaaaaay have to steal that idea for my next " Overkill " enclosure. ;)

Very nice enclosure Tom. It has a very nice clean look/design to it, and looks natural.

Have you had a chance to add any mantises yet? :D

I am ringing my supplier tomorrow and hopefully will be able to pick it up tomorrow but if not I wll hopefully have it by next week. I am also getting some assassin bugs thanks for all the support from Tom

Latest posts