Feeding with Guppys small fry

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mëluzynn

Reaction score
Hi :)

I've read on the net that mantis can be fed with small fry. I have at home a Guppys fishtank to have small fry to feed my Betta splendens. I was wondering if I can use Guppys babies with my mantis ?

I mean alive babies fishes.

I usually feed my Betta with just born fishes (of aged of a few days) but maybe for the mantis I can use fishes of a week or two old ?

Did someone tried that ?

It is not a good idea to do this. In the wild they would never eat fish.

theres a vid on youtube with someone that did that. I dont see why not. :)
I just saw some with goldfishes. Mine are clearely smaller...XD

It is not a good idea to do this. In the wild they would never eat fish.
Never ? Mantis living near small ponds never fish ?

I don't mean I NEED to feed Aluine with fishes, it was just an idea to vary her alimentation.

Normally this topic turns ugly on this site so be warned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultimately it comes down to choice. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that its possible to feed mantids small feeder fish, I've seen it done on youtube before. Some people think its wrong, and some think its just another feeder. Whether you do it or not is up to you.

Also I forgot to mention when you use feeders like that it is very waste full. I have never seen a mantis eat the entire fish.

Ok, I was on the iPad before, hard to post picture...lol

I talk about that kind of fishes, the picture almost shows real size :

guppy-endler-male-femelle-elevage-23362.jpg

And I didn't create this topic to turn into a polemic, it was just a "noob" question about a possibility to vary my mantis alimentation. Sorry if it hurts some of you, it wasn't my intention :)

If you put the fry in a deli cup of water, she might fish them for herself. I am sure that if you give her small guppy fry she will finish them if she likes them.

I know the size of them as I used to breed them for my Astronotus ocellatus, (Oscars). They look cool if you breed some fancy ones with the normal ones.

I would like to breed them again so my daughter can witness the live birth.

If you put the fry in a deli cup of water, she might fish them for herself. I am sure that if you give her small guppy fry she will finish them if she likes them.

I know the size of them as I used to breed them for my Astronotus ocellatus, (Oscars). They look cool if you breed some fancy ones with the normal ones.

I would like to breed them again so my daughter can witness the live birth.
In fact I only breed endlers, I really don't like the other fancy ones. I had some in my poubellarium (trasharium ? A big trashcan filled with green water I have on my balcony, like a smal pond) but they died after a big weather change.

I'll try to put one big baby in a small deli cup and I'll see what happens :)

Thank you for your advise ^^

I've never seen my mantid's try to eat anything dead. It has to be wiggly!

If I had extra tiny fish layin' around I'd probably use 'em!

Latest posts