"filth fly" photo

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecooper

Reaction score
Who knew a filth fly could be handsome? I guess if you look closely enough at anything you can se it for what it really is. Great photo.

How the hel* did you get so close without him flying off?? I know -- you'll never tell (don't blame you).

How the hel* did you get so close without him flying off?? I know -- you'll never tell (don't blame you).
LOL! Actually, I always write about how I got my photos when I post them on my blog...and I post a lot of fly photos.

These sort of flies are pretty easy to photograph if you bait them. A couple of times a year I put out a piece of nice red salmon to attract blow flies and flesh flies to photograph. My 60mm macro lens gives me about 4 inches of working distance at 1:1 magnification. When the flies are feeding they are pretty tolerant of the camera.

I photographed these flies the day after I put out salmon (which was already in the garbage). But there was still enough fishy smell to attract these critters...

Cheers,

EC

www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

How do you identify your specimens? I have a lot of trouble with flies.
Me too actually...I get more identifications wrong than I do right! I recommend the book "Flies; The Natural History and Diversity of Diptera" by Stephen A. Marshall. I also recommend the diptera.info forum (http://www.diptera.info/forum/index.php). You can post photos and get help with identification. That's how I ID'd these beasts.

Cheers,

EC

www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Latest posts