Finally got some Nymphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorty

Reaction score
After a long hiatus from keeping mantids, I recently got back into the hobby by collecting adults of the two local species in the wild. But without something exotic, or at least non-native, I still felt like I hadn't quite got fully back into the hobby yet; however, after getting some Blepharopsis mendica and Sibylla pretiosa nymphs from Yen Saw in the mail today, I am finally back into the swing of things. It's so much more fun and rewarding for me to raise a species from a small nymph to adulthood, and then breed them, rather than just catching adults in the wild.

If anyone has any tips for raising these two particular species, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Also, wish me luck as I've never kept these particular species before. I'll post some photos soon as well as updates here on how I'm doing. It's my eventual goal to mate these guys once they reach maturity.

Do not spray mist or water the mendicas at all and if the males if you ever get to raise them to adults and wish to breed them need a temp of 100+ degrees to induce mating with the females!

Welcome all the way back shorty! :lol: Good luck with babies! And I completely agree about raising them. I am much more attached to the ones I've raised from babies whereas I could care less about the one I found as an adult.

Do not spray mist or water the mendicas at all and if the males if you ever get to raise them to adults and wish to breed them need a temp of 100+ degrees to induce mating with the females!
Thank you for the tips. I do plan on breeding them so I will definitely be taking the information you provided me into consideration. I just bought a heat lamp at Lowes with a 125W heat bulb. I still need to get a heat pad to get the desired temperatures at night for the Sibylla pretiosa. The B. mendica are, as I've read, desert dwelling species and they can handle slightly lower temperatures at night. Right now it stays fairly warm in my room at night, definitely warmer than it would be at night in the desert.

Two more things I need are a thermometer and a humidity gauge. Anyone have any recommendations for either of these items? I'd like something that I can just stick into the enclosure and get a quick but accurate reading. Do they make anything like that?

I just bought a half-dollar size humidity analogue gauge from a petstore that has reptiles. It was about 5 dollars.

I found out that my default humidity is 60% (south florida). This just happens to be ideal for my Idolomantids. I just have to think of a way to raise my temperature about 10 degrees or so. A 40 watt adjustable-direction desk lamp isn't really cutting it. Thinking about getting some kind of heat lamp.

Good luck with the B.Mendicas. I'm getting some soon myself.

I just bought a half-dollar size humidity analogue gauge from a petstore that has reptiles. It was about 5 dollars.
If you go to WalMart in the hardware section with all the digital thermometers they have digital humidity and temp gauges for about $6 a piece. I bought a couple this past week and they are so much easier than the gauge set that I bought from my local pet store (who shall remain nameless) for $11 to read and place in enclosures. Just a thought for the future. Live and learn in my case! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to WalMart in the hardware section with all the digital thermometers they have digital humidity and temp gauges for about $6 a piece. I bought a couple this past week and they are so much easier than the gauge set that I bought from my local pet store (who shall remain nameless) for $11 to read and place in enclosures. Just a thought for the future. Live and learn in my case! :lol:
I really should've read this post before I went out and bought, quite possibly, the same thermometer/humidity gauge set that you did. It is a pain in the ###### to use and read these gauges, but I'll find an use for them.

Also bought a heat mat for my S. pretiosa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really should've read this post before I went out and bought, quite possibly, the same thermometer/humidity gauge set that you did. It is a pain in the ###### to use and read these gauges, but I'll find an use for them.

Also bought a heat mat for my S. pretiosa.
:lol: I wish I would've posted it earlier!!! They're ridiculously easier and I wish I wouldn't have wasted my $11 on the crappy ones.....

Latest posts