First hatch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodtkr

Reaction score
At the last reptile expo I was given a Chinese mantis ooth. The next day ( Feb 9 ) I wired the stick it was on to the vented lid of a 32 oz deli cup and put it on the shelf. I did absolutely nothing to it. No mist no jacking the heat up. Its between 69-73 in my apartment. I do have a humidifier going now since I lost a violin and a couple shields to molt issues. So it hasn't even been a month and I walked by the shelf yesterday and did a double take. I rubbed my eyes and focused and sure enuff there were a hundred plus 1/2 inch little kids running all over each other and hanging from the egg case. I certainly wasn't ready yet nor is it warm enuff to let them outside. I swear they may have been eating each other because by the time I put the cup in the mesh cage it seems there may be a hundred left. It was definitely one of the coolest things I've seen ; )

Congratulations??? At least it is nice that you were able to witness the hatch... hopefully you have some fruit flies...

Congrats. It happens depending on how long it was since the ooth was laid, and if it was kept in diapause or not. I got a ooth a month ago that hatched only 8 days after I got it. ;)

Indeed all nymphs turn cannibalistic if they do not have food. A trick many keepers use to get the huge numbers down to a manageable size, and get rid of any weak or dying nymphs. If they are not something you can handle you can do a ad here on the classifieds to sell off the extra nymphs.

The ooth was found in NJ in Feb I believe so it was definitely wintered. I have to believe local mantis here in new england have to be quick..maybe they have 5 months tops to hatch eat grow mate lay ooths and die ?

The ooth was found in NJ in Feb I believe so it was definitely wintered. I have to believe local mantis here in new england have to be quick..maybe they have 5 months tops to hatch eat grow mate lay ooths and die ?
Perhaps they have adapted to the available short time frame, I have no idea.

I can say that the wild ooths I have hatched, had diapaused in below freezing temps for 3 weeks, and hatched in about a month. Ooths of the same species without diapause took 2 months, or even more, to hatch. So there is no doubt if the ooth was diapaused it was ready to hatch quickly. ;)

Latest posts