Found a big green mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneckc

Reaction score
Having released my Mantis Religiosa back into the wild a few weeks after she reached adult, I have been without a mantis for quite some time. Yesterday, on my way into the country club, I found one of the largest mantids that I have ever seen in person. I excitedly collected her.

I believe she is an adult Stagmomantis Limbata. She seems to be very fat, so I'm wondering if she is going to lay an ooth some time soon? Here are some pics. I'm open to suggestions for names :) .

My bet it's Stagmomantis limbata as well. Her abdomen is really big and you should expect an ootheca any day now.

Be sure to give her alot of egg laying places! My mantis was terribly gravid, but she refused to lay an ooth. I thought she was egg bound, bur she probably didn't like the twigs I gave her. I let her out and she immediately deposited an ooth on the curtains (not the best idea for both egg and curtain, so don't actually do this).

She could still eat a little more. All adult females are gravid. They aren't too picky about egg laying sites. Usually they like a nice sturdy stick, but I've seen them deposit on the lids of kritter keepers, etc. Never had one become eggbound.

She is very clumsy when moving, she typically drags her abdomen, as well. She is also not very good at climbing most surfaces because she is missing the (pardon my lack of terminology) long grabby thing at the end of her right raptorial and it appears that she cannot move the one on her left raptorial. She seems to have plenty of energy, though. She moves around more than any mantis I've had so far.

def limbata. my WC limbata came to us 11-13 last year she lived until the end of Dec. she laid her ooth on the screen in a 12.5" x 16" pop up net cage instead of the multitude of sticks, twigs, and leaves. The ooth needs to diapause in frig and incubate in early spring.

At this point no. but there is a very high probability that it is fertile, if it looks uniform and not "weird". She sounds like she is a mature girl. I really enjoyed my time with my limbatta, she was a voracious eater, I thought she would burst.

Last edited by a moderator: