fruit flies and mesh/screen

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opivy

Reaction score
Okay, couldn't decide if this was to go in enclosures/housing or nymph care - but I will put it here since I have one main question.

I recently bought a large roll of this kind of screen

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Windows-Scr...catalogId=10053

which I have used successfully to make a few enclosures like Hierodula's in this thread. (same tupperware, just used hot glue instead)

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14904 (post #19)

I am expecting mantis babies soon, and have been considering building a net cage. (rather than buying a 'butterfly cube' or what have you)

Main question is, Will fruit flies, or more importantly Nymphs be able to get through the little holes?

Their website is down but I buy screen from Lowes and it isprobably the same stuff. Yes, ff's can fit through. To keep ff's in you need to get some very fine mesh. I get mine from a craft store.

You need the "no see em"! it is a fine mesh I use it in all my babies homes. Look for it at a hardware store, the big diy's dont carry it, I also have it on my site and it can be in longer pieces if u need it.

Yeah, I learnt it the hard way :rolleyes: . Get some no see-um, or go to hobby lobby and got some twill/twine (the stuff to make dress) it's very fine, and will hold in flies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently using tulle for my hatcheries. It's fine enough and easy to see through (and also super-cheap at a craft or fabric store). I also chop it up into strips to make a mass of surfaces for the fruit flies and nymphs to crawl around in.

I'm currently using tulle for my hatcheries. It's fine enough and easy to see through (and also super-cheap at a craft or fabric store). I also chop it up into strips to make a mass of surfaces for the fruit flies and nymphs to crawl around in.
That's interesting. I suggested using tulle for a PVC framed cube six months ago, and if I remember correctly, eight or nine of the Rebeccas said that it would be too fragile and rip easily. I followed their advice and lost an opportunity to establish a potentially lucrative business.

In case I take this issue to the Supreme Court, you might wish to draft an Amicus Curiae brief now. Perhaps Arkanis will show you the ropes.

That's interesting. I suggested using tulle for a PVC framed cube six months ago, and if I remember correctly, eight or nine of the Rebeccas said that it would be too fragile and rip easily. I followed their advice and lost an opportunity to establish a potentially lucrative business.In case I take this issue to the Supreme Court, you might wish to draft an Amicus Curiae brief now. Perhaps Arkanis will show you the ropes.
Get the stiff tulle like you'd find mixed in with gift-wrapping tissue or around flowers at the grocery store. Comes in cute colors. I haven't had a rip (or threat thereof) yet.

Latest posts