fruit fly cultures

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterF

Reaction score
I am looking to start a fruit fly culture. The information here has been great, especially the pinned thread.

I have been using a commercial culture, and I am happy with it. But can't justify the continuing price (or frankly, it's hard to tell people that our bug zoo / entomology lab doesn't raise it's own FFs).

Anyway. I am terrified that the culture will be runny and really messy when trying to tap flies out.

Am I being overly paranoid?

The culture I have works great, but I have trouble believing I can making something that will stick to the bottom so well.

I am looking to start a fruit fly culture. The information here has been great, especially the pinned thread.

I have been using a commercial culture, and I am happy with it. But can't justify the continuing price (or frankly, it's hard to tell people that our bug zoo / entomology lab doesn't raise it's own FFs).

Anyway. I am terrified that the culture will be runny and really messy when trying to tap flies out.

Am I being overly paranoid?

The culture I have works great, but I have trouble believing I can making something that will stick to the bottom so well.
It's so much more economical to make your own cultures and it's not hard at all. The media that I use in my cultures doesn't run at all. It's actually quite thick, sort of looks like mashed potatoes in color and consistency. When I tap flies out, the media doesn't run, or even move, at all.

If I knew what the media I use consists of, I would tell you, but I bought a kit to make cultures from a website that no longer exists (fruitfliesinc.com I think?) over a year ago and I don't know exactly what the stuff even is. I'm sure you could find something similar to this somewhere on the internet. My guess is that the media in the kit I bought has dried potato flakes in it along with a few other ingredients and mold inhibitors. You add just the right amount of water to it along with some yeast and it will turn out just right.

You can also find recipes for fruit fly culture media on the internet that will be more than adequate.

Hope this helps and good luck with your cultures.

I use the medium outlined in this thread, and it's awesome. They're really pretty easy! I haven't had any big problems making them. The biggest issue I had was pupating in the medium, which turned out not to be a big deal. I would recommend starting one and leaving it for a week or two and you'll be amazed what happens! Also I'd get some excelsior for the FFs to crawl on if you don't have any already. I've made 4 now and they do all the work if you follow the directions! Good luck! :D

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9521

I use commercial medium from Carolina.com If made properly it does not run. However, if you add too much water it can get runny.

Latest posts