Fungus Gnat Culture

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenabo

Reaction score
Yesterday, I received my first ever ghost mantis ootheca in the mail. I was surprised to find inside 4 nymphs had hatched en route to me. While this was exciting, I did not expect them to hatch for a couple of weeks at least and I had only melanogaster FFs on hand. I was worried the FFs would be too big for the tiny nymphs (as it turns out, they were not too big and the nymphs ate them without a hitch) and began looking up if fungus gnats would be safe to feed the nymphs. In my speedy search I learned, as most of you probably know, fungus gnats do make appropriate feeders for small/weaker nymphs.

I also came across a video made by Kevin Young at Moonlight Mantids where he describes how he "cultures" fungus gnats to feed cryptic nymphs. He says that he has been able to get a ghost nymph from l1 to l3 just by placing it in the culture jar and waiting four weeks with no intervention.

I thought this was a ingenious method and wanted to share it with all you on the mantidforum.

Here is the video: 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts