Ghost Mantids L1/2

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just have to show you my new Ghosties, they are soo cute lol Really surprised me how far they can jump too! I was just getting them out of the tiny box they were posted in and checking if they were alright and one must have been really hungry because it took one look at the fruit-fly larve I had on my other hand and lept a good 6 inches straight onto it and begain wolfing it down! Gods I'm so excited about raising these guys ;p

As they are only very tiny at the moment I have opted to keep them in a small clear plastic container thingy I had and they seem happy in there for the minute. it has moss at the bottom to retain a bit of moisture and straw for them to climb on. Does this setup look ok to u guys? I know it looks small and my perspective photos here are not the best as my camera REFUSES to focus on the mantids through the plastic but the height is like 4-5 times higher than the insects themselves so should be high enough from what I have read. They also seem happy enough with each other's company.

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00054.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00059.jpg

I suppose it is too early to sex them at this stage isn't it?

The container seems a bit cramped, not much room for them to move. Use a bigger container, a tall one preferably. Make sure there's plenty of room for them to move around, otherwise there will be complications when they molt.

Cute babies! You can sex them tentatively at L3, and you'll know for sure by L4 -- the females' abdomens will have more flared, leaflike appendages whereas the males' will be more coarse.

how many are you keeping in that container?

My only concerns would be that there may not be enough places to molt with all that straw. They should be able to easily find a place where they can hang with two full mantid lengths underneath them. watch them to see if they're having trouble catching prey -- if they are you might want to remove some of the straw to give fruit flies fewer places to hide.

That's my two-cents, but wait for some more experienced members to respond as I have been keeping mantids about a week. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I can see where these posts are going...not enough room. I shall try to remedy this now lol brb

oh and I have 2 babies in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe use a container (and not so cramped) with a cloth lid, or line the lid with a paper towel. They like to hang on the lids to molt. The clear plastic lid seems too smooth for the young ones to get a firm foothold on to molt. They stick well to paper towels and won't fall while molting. Make sure there is enough ventilation also.

-Kevin

90% sure pic #5 is a male, but hey I'm a newbie more or less too! and pic #6 75% sure it a female? anyone else see what I'm seeing?