Ghosts kind of macro eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrayingMantisPets

Reaction score
I took these pics with a iphone haha. Nothing too special but i thought it was cool.

IMG_5356.png

IMG_5357.png

IMG_5358.png

Awesome pictures! What phone did you use?

I have a iPhone 7 and I can't get very good pics lol
To do this you have to go through iphone settings->camera->Record Video-> I have mine one 4k 30fps. 

I use a custom lens (macro + google cardboard lens)

I just ordered a macro lens for a iphone a few days ago and im getting it today ill post pics using it later 

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-GFKing®-Universal-Samsung-Blackberry/dp/B01FFPHPNE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1510427472&sr=8-7&keywords=iphone+macro&dpID=51eOz7jwajL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Oh sweet. I’ll have to look into getting one of those instead of a giant expensive camera.

Nice pictures, and I like the coloration too.  I also use a clip on macro lens for my phone and it's decent.

thanks for linking this, I have always wanted a macro lense for my phone but never knew where to get one.
It’s not the best in the world but I like it for the price and it actually looks pretty good. Mantises love to grab onto it so you sometimes get a cool shot.

I purchased a macro lens like this a while back and I LOVE IT. it takes great pictures, the only draw back is that you have to get super close to the subject which means there is a lot of your model jumping onto the lens then minor panic while you try to figure out where the little rascal has scuttled off to.

I purchased a macro lens like this a while back and I LOVE IT. it takes great pictures, the only draw back is that you have to get super close to the subject which means there is a lot of your model jumping onto the lens then minor panic while you try to figure out where the little rascal has scuttled off to.
This scares me the most with little nymphs. I use it when a mantis is eating or cleaning his legs. They just sit still.

Those pictures are sweet! I’ll have to look into getting one of these lenses!

What are the 4 tentacle things at the very bottom/back of the mouth? Not the longer 4 on the sides, I've seen them hold food but the shorter, softer-looking ones. I've always noticed them but never could figure out their function.

one more question, what Instar is the ghost?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the 4 tentacle things at the very bottom/back of the mouth? Not the longer 4 on the sides, I've seen them hold food but the shorter, softer-looking ones. I've always noticed them but never could figure out their function.

one more question, what Instar is the ghost?
I’m gonna guess that those 4 things are used for feeling/sensing their food