Got my Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opivy

Reaction score
A giant shield from mantisplace. Very excited, will post pics later - got a couple questions though.

I dumped about 8 fruit flies in with him, and he's already eaten three. Is it possible to over feed them?

Also, I gave him and the rest of the deli cup a spray. Is substrate necessary?

Thanks.

A giant shield from mantisplace. Very excited, will post pics later - got a couple questions though.I dumped about 8 fruit flies in with him, and he's already eaten three. Is it possible to over feed them?

Also, I gave him and the rest of the deli cup a spray. Is substrate necessary?

Thanks.
yeah you can over feed them. id take the other fruit flies out and just give him about 2 a day.

and yeah use a substrate.

I don't think you can over feed them. I believe that ff's are even safe during a molt, but you may want a second opinion on that. I would use some form of substrate. This mantis needs the humidity for molting.

Thanks for the replies guys. He already had 3 and I took the rest out.

I've seen people use paper towels, does this work fine? Also - do I moisten the substrate? I've read 1-2 sprays a day, but I'm unsure how big of a spray that means.

Thanks again, and I'll try n put some pics up later tonight - got lots of homework =(

Paper towels are all i use for substrates and they work fine.

Don’t worry to much about food and water just keep a eye on him/her and play it by ear.

thanks for the quick replies! I'm gonna put some paper towels in there,

He's been hanging out on the lid most the time. Should I spray him, then spray the rest of the cup?

So, can you over feed? I'm seeing real mixed answers upon a search.

Asking, because my girlfriends coming over and she wants to see it eat.

So, can you over feed? I'm seeing real mixed answers upon a search.Asking, because my girlfriends coming over and she wants to see it eat.
You can feed it more fruit flies. When it's full it will stop eating. I have only experienced one incedent with an adult ghost female who did not stop eating till her abdomin split on one side. She scabed up and survived. I would not worry about overfeeding.

You can feed it more fruit flies. When it's full it will stop eating. I have only experienced one incedent with an adult ghost female who did not stop eating till her abdomin split on one side. She scabed up and survived. I would not worry about overfeeding.
I don't think I've ever read about a mantid overeating. It's a first for me. Good to know.

wow, this shield is an eating machine! So far I've fed it 6 fruit flies.

Any tips on getting the flies out? They came in a 32oz deli cup, loads of them. I've been cracking the lid a bit and dumping them into the one with the mantis in there, but it seems there has to be an easier way to do this. at least 4-5 end up falling in there.

wow, this shield is an eating machine! So far I've fed it 6 fruit flies.Any tips on getting the flies out? They came in a 32oz deli cup, loads of them. I've been cracking the lid a bit and dumping them into the one with the mantis in there, but it seems there has to be an easier way to do this. at least 4-5 end up falling in there.
I cut a whole small in the side of the fruit fly culture and put a foam stopper in so when you need fruit flies all you do is pull out the stopper.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Just visited the FF transfer/feeding system thread, and I really like Bassist's method. I think I'm going to try that -

Do you put them in the fridge or the freezer?

On another note, that was one of the most interesting things I have ever seen. My Shield just molted from l2 to l3. Very cool to watch, he looks too big for fruit flies now =0.

How long should it be till he'll want to eat again? and should I move him up to the small type crickets?

also, as far as substrate goes, i've put 2 layers of paper towels at the bottom. Is that enough? And should it be pre-moistened? or just spray it when i spray the mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just chill. Give it at least two days, then feed it whatever it will take. I usually dont use any substrate and simply spray once or twice a day.

Main thing is not to worry too much :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! Just visited the FF transfer/feeding system thread, and I really like Bassist's method. I think I'm going to try that -Do you put them in the fridge or the freezer?

On another note, that was one of the most interesting things I have ever seen. My Shield just molted from l2 to l3. Very cool to watch, he looks too big for fruit flies now =0.

How long should it be till he'll want to eat again? and should I move him up to the small type crickets?

also, as far as substrate goes, i've put 2 layers of paper towels at the bottom. Is that enough? And should it be pre-moistened? or just spray it when i spray the mantis.
I put them in the fridge then just slide the straw around the culture peeling the lid back then plug the end of the straw with my thumb and just dump the flies in, a day or so but it varies with the mantis there is not set time might even start eating the same day, I don't recommend crickets but it could handle small ones I suggest house flies though, and substrate you don't need but it won't hurt.

Latest posts