Green Violin

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarstorm

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing a green Violin pic posted here lately, so I figured I'd share one of mine.

GreenGongy.jpg

I hope the color sticks through her final molt!

Very nice! Yes, i hope he stays that color? I once had a sub-adult male green ghost. He turned beige on the final molt. I cried a little that day. :(

Very nice! Yes, i hope he stays that color? I once had a sub-adult male green ghost. He turned beige on the final molt. I cried a little that day. :(
Try lowering your temps just a drop and keep thine humidity high and you'll have more green ghosts.

With humidity no lower then 70% and my temps about 75F, I had about 50%green females and 15% green males.

I still have never had a black ghost yet.

Harry

Oh, nice green violin you have there.

Try lowering your temps just a drop and keep thine humidity high and you'll have more green ghosts.

With humidity no lower then 70% and my temps about 75F, I had about 50%green females and 15% green males.

Harry

This is the second time I have heard this! Did this work on one hatch or multiples?

To me,all those tricks with temp and humidity do not work...I believe the color of a mantis is given by the genes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome Nikkko, I didn't see that video before! She looks very similar to yours, very cool.

Though now I'm spooked, I hope my green gal isn't more fragile (thus far I haven't noticed any differences between her eating, behaviors, etc. compared to her tan hued brethren.) Time will tell! :wacko:

The one you see on video turned black at its final molt...I have 6 L4,L5 greenies so far.I am quite sure they are all female as I have never seen a green male( one of the reason why I think it is genetic).Good luck with yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting! I'll let you know if I ever see a green male.

And I agree with you, I believe coloration is purely genetic. I'm not convinced mantid owners can influence the coloration of their nymphs or adult mantids but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Harry

Mine are kept close to the temps, and humidity you are saying. In fact most of my females are green.

Are you saying you have had an adult male green ghost? I have yet to ever see one. Nymphs yes! Adults no!

Thanks to everyone who was complimentary of my green Violin picture! I'll try not to let my crappy camera prevent me from sharing pics of my mantids. :)

all you pros never cease to amaze me! ^____^

such inspiration for my hobby!
I'm not a pro. :) I'm just a person who likes mantids, same as you, but thanks for the kind words!

Just wondering, since many peeps say female mantises r more likely green or an unusual color, do u think the interesting color is a sex linked characteristic like the calico color some cats take but nearly all calicoes r female? Just a thought :)

Latest posts