Greenbottle fly feeding on salmon carcass (pic)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecooper

Reaction score
Every Friday I post photos of a different species of fly on my blog (I title them “Flydays”; corny, I know). This past week’s post was about Lucilia sericata, the common greenbottle (http://wp.me/p2wM8r-uT); which is easily my favourite fly. Greenbottles are blow flies—feeding and laying their eggs on dung and carrion. So I attracted this specimen (and a number of other species) by putting the remains of a sockeye salmon out on my deck. I’d filleted the fish for dinner and kept the skeleton specifically to attract some flies.

Is it weird that I have a favourite fly?

Cheers,

EC

Olympus OM-D E-M5, Zuiko 35mm macro, manual exposure (F11 @ 1/200 sec), Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/2 power) (on TTL), ISO: 200

P8120179 Lucilia copyright ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Reading the title, I imagined the picture would be of a rotting, maggot nursery carcass. It's actually a nice image. I love the contract of the green of the fly (what great detail can be seen on it's hairs!) and the red-orange of the salmon flesh.

Great work, Coop. I'm surprised Mrs. Fly let you get fairly close with the 35mm. Perhaps she was being grateful for the salmon.

Latest posts