Greetings from Arizona!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addlement

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here. It's nice to meet you!

As it says, I am from Arizona. I just recently got a dozen Tenodera sinensis ooths, and plan on hatching one or so every month. Though I'm sure it's kind of morbid for some people, I actually intend to raise the majority of them as feeders for my chameleon-- though I will release some into my patio garden, and I already have things set up to keep around 20 adults, since I like mantids in general! When I was a child growing up, I would often catch mantises and keep them in screened enclosures outside with a plant and catching them moths and such every night for them for a couple months before I set them free. I guess you could say I'm getting back into the hobby?

With any luck, in the next month or two I'm actually going to go out hunting for a few of the native species here, including P. arizonae, if I can find them. Otherwise, I might just order up P. paradoxa and Sphodromantis, if I can find them! So I'm sure you'll see me around, talking about those guys! :)

Welcome! You can't go wrong with Sphodromantis if you ask me. Big, easy to keep, great eaters, and lots of personality.

Welcome. Can't fault you for using those as feeders. But do us all a favor and don't release anymore of those. They eat our wonderful native mantids.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone! I don't plan to release them, though my local nurseries sell around ~1000 egg cases per season, so sadly, I don't think I'm going to make much of an impact.

On that topic, though, my ooths just arrived. It was ~14 days between shipping and receiving-- is it safe to refrigerate most of them again? Or will that mess them up and kill the eggs? I don't necessarily want all 20 cases I ordered to hatch all at once, as you can imagine...

yes 200 would be way too much, but im unsure if you can rerefridgerate them... welcome anyways!

Latest posts