Happy/sad time

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl82

Reaction score
Well one of my favourite mantids molted to adult this week, a male ephestiasula boxer mantid.  He looks great and is healthy/feeding well so thats the happy.  The sad is my other boxer is not there yet (not sure of the sex anyway) and of course it means the adults' days are numbered.

Boxer male.jpg

He is a very keen flier, and trying to photograph him was hard ☺️

As it happened most of my mantids molted this week, the difference in size always catches me out.  One of Sphrodo's decided now they are subadult that they are finger hunting size, literally chasing my hand across the table when I was cleaning them out.

sphod2.jpgSphod1.jpg

Freshly shed and HUNGRY.

My miomantis paykulli have now all shed to adult and it turns out I have 2 females and 1 male.  I now fear for his future as I would like to try and pair him with the ladies but they are so voracious now.  Well there is a couple of weeks before I try, will have to stuff them with food.  It turns out he's the best looking of the three, they are green and he is still a sandy colour with perfect wings.

Unfortunately one of my budwings died, it never really seemed to get going, wasn't as good a feeder as the other two and just generally failed to thrive.  The others doing great though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gratz on the molts! I hope your boxer lives a long time. I agree, it is a Happy/sad time. 

- MantisGirl13