Hatching during shipment...grrrr

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they have gone ahead of schedule!! I was expecting the first adult around Christmas but after just about 95 days (3 months and few days), i have my first adult idolomantis yay! :D
Hello Yen,

good work - that I call fast... How are the females?

Best regards,

Juergen

;) Nice Job Yen! Mine are down to two. A lot of money for them and I don't know if the last will make it. It is crippled on one side and I have to Hand feed it, I should be a bug nurse. I spend a lot of time hand feeding them :lol: . I just had my miomantis that was crippled die, she live a long time and had 3 ooths, the last one killed her though. Then I have a budwing that is total cripple, I feed her every day, when I went in this morning she is able to move her head and clean her two front claws, she looked at me when I said " morning baby" and asked her if she wanted her breakfast early" ha ha, she nodded yes so I cut a big fat superworm in half and gave it to her. It must of filled her up cause she did not take other half. But to get back to the idol, (I digress) ha ha... it is able to hang and scoot along things, and can hold it's fly once I get it to notice I am feeding it, it fights me all the way. But I usually get two b b flys down it and then put it up. so i dont knowif it will make it to next molt! But on the bright side, the last one is fine!

:blink:

Hi Trojon, the tent where my son is in cost about $75. It stands around 6 feet tall (not my 11-year-old son). Macro junkie asked the same question a week ago and i gave him the link as followhttp://www.livemonarch.com/store_enclosures.php

You can find all the dimensions there. I love their net cage, works wonderfully. I would have gone for the green house if it was available. Christopher is the owner of that site but i am not sure if he shipped aborad. Rebecca (Hibiscusmile) carries their product too, you ship abroad right Becky?

BY the way. took a shot at molting idolomantis, looks like it has great grips on thin branches eventhough they size seems too big for the tiny legs to hang on. But the one that moult on screen net only sees one last leg hanging on the net, dangerously close to losing all grips. Both moulted into subadult stage.

molt1.jpg

molt2.jpg
I totatly missed this post Yen, sorry, and I just shipped some to the uk a week or so ago.

"Cooling down" or starving the males doesn't work properly in this species. If the conditions are not optimal, they can die in a blink of an eye.

Keep them as usual and feed them well, then they live about 3-4 months.

"Cooling down" or starving the males doesn't work properly in this species. If the conditions are not optimal, they can die in a blink of an eye.Keep them as usual and feed them well, then they live about 3-4 months.
Come to think of it I didn't cool mine down once adult, but I did when they were subadult :unsure:

Thanks all. I have another 4 molted into adult recently with 2 mismoult :( . Apparently both moulted out alright, but as it turns around to get it wing expand the male lost the grips and fall, so i have this male with all the legs and shield well formed but a mess up wing, what a bummer!! :( i have to send them to freezer but will take a few pics of them before doing so. On the positive note, there are 4 healthy looking adult male. All females are at subadult stage for at least 2-3 weeks now. I have a male bias gourp here so i still have plenty of male in subadult stage. But only have 10 females out of this group. I am hoping the subadult females traded from Germany (different bloodline) to mature soon, they have been in subadult stage for 1.5 month now!! :angry:

So if the wings are bad does it mean he's a gonner,cannot he live with bad wings? or do u just delete him so as not to use poor blood line? :blink: just wondering.

The second reason Hibiscusmile.... i will show a pic of the mismolted male when i have the chance. It is a shame cos everything else was alright except for the wing. I wouldn't throw it away if i only have one, but since i have some fine adult male and more subadult male left there're plenty of backup. Or i can get a male from you too Becky :p I remember sending a pre-subadult female to Reggie as he has 5 male from me (talk about odd!) and i have a male bias group too as mentioned earlier.

MJ, all adult male of empuside species appear to have feathery antenna which is pretty cool.

No he is still kicking and screaming (well not really :p ) when picked, but don't think he can live for too long :(

Hopefully the movie clip works......
f6eb47d3.gif

Hey i think it works :)

I was too late to take some subadult male out so you might be able to see few adult male in the cage too..... is too crowded i know :( need to do something about it this weekend.

Wow!! Such a wonderfl species, Yen. But, if anyone can pull this off you can. they are in good hands. I know you'd only freezer em if you really had to. How much longer would he live form the date of the post. I know i'm a bit late!!! :mellow:

hahahhahah 1 was boxing the light bulb..im so glad i got 2 of these ;) your set up is great..hahah all them flys..im wondering what u do when u have to open the tent..lol..do u wait till all the flys are eaten?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! Such a wonderfl species, Yen. But, if anyone can pull this off you can. they are in good hands. I know you'd only freezer em if you really had to. How much longer would he live form the date of the post. I know i'm a bit late!!! :mellow:
Thanks Khori. I hope the male can survive for at least another 2-3 months, my females are showing signs of maturing with swelling budwing so hope to get some adult pairs soon.

hahahhahah 1 was boxing the light bulb..im so glad i got 2 of these ;) your set up is great..hahah all them flys..im wondering what u do when u have to open the tent..lol..do u wait till all the flys are eaten?
Thanks MJ, i need some free roaming mantis to handle the escape flies :D

Latest posts