Hatching during shipment...grrrr

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my god! This mantis is huge! Tell me - how many house flies does it take to feed all of them?
i can answer that cause yen has loads i only have 2..i have net cage like yen..i have 2 sub adults in there.il throw in about 20 bluebottles and they eat them 1 in day.il then chuck another 20 in there the fallowing day and it takes them couple days to eat it..there eating about 40 blue bottles each per week..ish..thats a rough estimate..this spcies is amazing..wish me luck i have only 2 and im hoping they make it to adult.. *M.J prays to god*

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, MJ - I'm rooting for you with all my heart! I like ambitious breeders! Especially since this mantis is just so gorgeous, what a shame that it's so hard to get ahold of it...

Well, MJ - I'm rooting for you with all my heart! I like ambitious breeders! Especially since this mantis is just so gorgeous, what a shame that it's so hard to get ahold of it...
well martin always has them but they sale out very fast..and im not to sure he wil ship..u finding it hard to get..cant u ship from germany?

Collected 4 oothecae so far but never had a chance to witness mating. But as i spent more time in bugroom today finally i saw a connecting pair :)

I took a few pics but it was at a terrible angle and there is one nosey female trying to block me from taking a good shot :angry:

mate1.jpg

mate2.jpg

this is from another angle.....

mate3.jpg

Notice i didn't complain about the loose flies ;)

Awww, and here I was hoping to open this thread and find a photo of a cup full of idolo nymphs. :D But it's only a matter of time. You can be sure I'll be taking some nymphs off your hands when you sell 'em...along with everyone else here. :p

oh wow..the colour yen..how amazing how much its change since it shed to adult..i cant wait to see if mine do this if they shed ok to adult

That is so great Yen, I'm happy you're mating them ;)

It seems soon the life circle will be closed.

USPS must have the best incubating condition for them to hatch ha!
Luckily you already know how to incubate the ooth :unsure: :lol:

Best regards,

tier

Even if the chicken was raised on pure kryptonite cocaine and blessed by the gods themselves? :eek:
Ha Andrew!! :lol: the ooth is only couple of week old although i could be the king of wishful thinking!!

oh wow..the colour yen..how amazing how much its change since it shed to adult..i cant wait to see if mine do this if they shed ok to adult
MJ, I can see different colors but i don't know how many times they had change colors. Generally it takes 2-4 days for the wings to settle down on the color. It takes a good 3-4 weeks for the last molt so be patient :)

Good job Yen! So you haven't had any major problems keeping them together?
Not that i know joosa, even if i don't put flies for couple of days they do alright together.

What is that gooey thing on the branches and the mesh fibre?
Idolomantis oothecae? :rolleyes:

Not that, I meant gooey, not spongy! :lol:

Everything seems to be covered in some brownish stains - what is that? Flys left that? Yuck!

Have been waiting for the threat pose of this species for a very long time. Today, finally two adult male were doing it and a rare occasion where my camera is around and fully charged :lol: So without wasting the precious moment, took several pics. and also happen to capture a short clip of how the male making sound with the legs while showing threat pose. So here to share a few

1st male

threat1.jpg

threat3.jpg

2nd male

threat4.jpg

and a lousy clip from the 2nd male, apologize for the poor quality (i was dissappointed it didn't focus but you can hear the noise made while he "danced" his way trying to scare me!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts