Haven't heard from odontomantis lately

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm just wondering, has odontomantis gone out of culture? It's been a long long time since I saw pics of them here or heard any mention on an odontomantis :(

I hope some peeps still have them

Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if they were out of US culture (though you'd be surprised at how many people have exotic mantids but are not active board members.)

Hopefully someone is able to help bring 'em back soon!

Incidentally i kept an 'extended family' of them last year. Had to let all of them go in November after i tried (and failed) to juggle them with college. No prizes for guessing, but i'm not from the US ;) They are native to my country, so I've been able to release all the excess hatchlings I've had along the way.

The specimens I've raised / spotted come in many different colour variants, especially as nymphs. I paired two of these variants up; the male responded to the female's pheromones and viable offspring were produced... so I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to call them different species. (Before I get yelled at, I gotta clarify that the variants I paired occur within the same acre of forest :) )

While (with me being a noob!) it would be a great honour if I could help reboot the US culture or enhance its gene pool, I really wouldn't want to risk crossing my country's customs. The regulations, risks, and penalties are really harsh...

Here's some images though, if anyone's interested (sorry but my camera is a crappy digital point-and-shoot)

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2978mod.jpg

PostAx30407115Copy.jpg

Astor-Callett2210113.jpg

IMG_2419mod.jpg

Cheers everyone.

I have a couple of recently shed Odontomantis Females, Males are not far behind. I also have 11-12 Nymphs at pre-sub or below as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, I have them in breeding;)

I can have Odontomantis principes ooths for sale - if somebody will be interested just send PM with offer of price.

Latest posts